Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

TransGO HD2 install - Boost valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TransGO HD2 install - Boost valve, updated

I had a really hard time trying to remove my boot valve. The snap ring came off with a fuss, but once it dropped, it would hang on a little chamfer. Almost like a shelf. I tried filing it down some, but it still wouldn’t drop.

Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Update: post #8 . .?

Last edited by Tootall; 11-15-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine came out with no problems.

That looks like it would be impossible to get that out of there?
Old 11-13-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

well it was a PITA to get the snap ring out, but once that was out, the valve drops, but not all the way. I'm going to try and hit it with the dremel and see what happens.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine was like that but not as much as that. I just took the dremel to it a little and out came the boost valve.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

be sure to keep the shavings out of the tranny
Old 11-13-2006, 02:53 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

i couldnt imagine taking a dremmel to my tranny internals
Old 11-14-2006, 09:00 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

I use a sharp chisel if I was you. This way you can shave off larger pieces not as messy!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

the dremmel wasn't as bad as ya'll think that it was. I hosed the inside down with break cleaner. I used some paper towels in the larger holes. None the less it was messy with the trans oil dripping down.

Took the truck out for a spin last night, 11pm. Filled up with 6 and half qt. of oil, (I have a 2+qt pan, should have been 8qts). Warmed up the truck for 30 min, ran the trans threw all the gears kept checking the level, and went out for a ride. At first it was **** poor. It was almost the same as stock. I could stand on it from a dig, 1st gear would grab at 2,000, and then pull from there on. The 2-3 shift would slip like crazy. It would run out of beans at 5,400 rpm, and it wouldn’t shift, at 5,600, the trans would slip all together, and hit the rev limiter at 6K, and then shift. I could let off at 5,200-5400 on my own and then it would shift, but sloppy as hell.
So I drove it normal for 20 more minutes, doing stop and goes, and more normal driving. I went back to my starting point and stood on it at 20, down shifted into 1st, and pulled like crazy till 5,500, and slowly shifted into 2nd. Ran out of room to hit 3rd, so I turned around. Came to my turn-around, stood on the gas, down shifted from 2nd to 1st great, got to the top of 2nd and waited for the 2-3 shift, but it went without slipping, but it sat there long enough for me to yell out SHIFT . . SHIFT SHIFT DAMIT!

This happened a 3 more times. I had enough with the shifting woes. Pulled over to check the level and it was at the bottom. Not even near the first hole. Went back to the house and dumped in another 1.5qts of oil, and let the trans cool down some. I ran out of oil to dump in. I’ll try running the snot of out it again tonight and see how it improves.

This was a pretty frustrating install at first. Taking pictures helped out tons. I had to refer back to some at one point or another. My arms were covered in oil the whole time that I was doing the removal. The instructions/directions suck. There are not enough pics to tell you where things go. You have to come up with your own ways to remove the snap/retainer rings. I have a aftermarket trans pan, so the exhaust had to be dropped. I broke off both of the y-pipe bolts. FUN
Old 11-14-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Everything seems fine, trans temp never goes over 180-190. The 1-2 shift will chirp at WOT, other than that, normal driving, shifting is fine.

I'd like to make the 2-3 shift more firm. I didn't use any of the shims. I had the front of the truck up on ramps and I couldn't check for band clearance. I know that the plunger moves more than an 1/8th.

Does any one know if just putting in the vett servo will take up some slack?
Old 11-15-2006, 08:13 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

The vette servo is for second gear. You should of got a bag with a red and blue seal with two shims and a blue spring. The blue spring is for the 3rd accumulator located in the second servo/vette servo location. The gold shims are to remove some of the slack for the band travel. How large of a hole did you drill for 3rd gear and how large of a stall are you running?

Quick Reply: TransGO HD2 install - Boost valve