Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transgo HD2 shift kit ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transgo HD2 shift kit ??

my transmissions a 4l60e, and ive heard about the transgo hd 2 sift kits, but ive been throwing around the idea, so i come to you performance guru's. I am very nervous to touch my transmission in any way, as truck is a very reliable daily driver, i have a vette servo already and a tb converter. So my question is, if i pick up the shift kit, is it worth it honestly. how do you like it? what do you notice? ive read where its been installed and tranny messes up, and I will need someone reliable to put it in, which leads me to the next set of questions, anyone near new orleans area, i live in luling, know anything about these hd2 shift kits and how to install? i will not to do it myself, as i dont have the mechanical aptitude to do so. and how much does it cost or have you paid to get it in. so, i needs pros/cons, likes/dislikes any gains anything, feel free please.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just installed mine on Thursday afternoon and replaced all the plastic accumulators with aluminum...I have access to a nice shop and lift so the install was very easy.

It truly transforms the trans (i had a billet vette servo installed prior to this kit) but from what i have noticed so far is that shifts are so much more crisp and firm. IMO it is a must for these transmissions..anything that improves shift times and reduces clutch/band slippage will help with longevity (and a happy driver with the better responding slush box). No idea on how much a shop would charge but i would call around to all the local trans shops and get a quote.

I have a Retune in route from nelson for my longtubes and the HD2...i suspect that the shifting will even be better with the adjustments.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A shift kit is definitely worth it, as are the aluminum accumulator pistons. Sonnax offers pinless alum accum pistons, or you could get the Corvette pinned ones. The factory plastic accumulator pistons will eventually crack, leak, and lose pressure. Just be sure to have a reputable shop do the install.

Moving this to the Drivetrain and Suspension section for you
Old 08-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

do it. you will not regret it at all. its the best money ive spent on a tranny. i got mine from summit the kit and a vett servo was around $117 shipped.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

I have the vette servo already installed, is it necessary to get a retune after installing this?
anyone have a link to where to get the transgo kit and the aluminum accumulators??
Old 08-21-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not 100% sure that you must retune after the kit but i was installing the longtubes and ory so when i called i told Nelson that i installed the Shift kit and they said they would retune for the shift kit and the headers...or maybe i misunderstood?

I got my kit From Oregon Performance Transmissions along with the accumulators everything is transgo parts . I called them up and ordered everything over the phone.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

cool, ill be looking into this. now i need to find a Louisiana member who can put it in.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:35 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your trans pressures are turned up in the tune you'll definitely want it retuned or the excessive pressure could break hard parts. Proper tuning should be done to get the most out of it anyway...
Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Teching In

i would agree on the tuning of psi's with a shiftkit. you shouldnt need no upped psi's with that shift kit. it ups it already i feel needed nothing more when i installed it in my 98 truck. i had a superchips tuner at the time and pissed with psi's after the hd2 kit installed and it banged hard. took the trans part out and it shifted perfect.

i ordered all the parts for my '08 chev so im looking forward to a much quicker and firmer shifting trans. still might have to have the tcm adjusted to get the rest of torque mang removed.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

I paid a guy $160 to put mine in. that was including a new filter. Which isn't bad when you think about how much shops are charging these days for labor.

Quick Reply: Transgo HD2 shift kit ??