Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transgo installed after about 12hours!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad my new tranny came with the transgo installed, lol.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you bastard
Old 06-20-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, but thats how it goes I guess.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i think i am going to have to get a loan for my new tranny. 4L65E with yank 3000
Old 06-20-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice. JAG has the built 65es for about $2400 if I remember correctly.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

So what tips can I give to you guys when installing all of this?

Servo's
1. The servo's are cake, don't be intimidated. The hardest part is putting back in that damn snap ring on the cover. An experienced guy could do them in under an hour. A non-experienced guy could do it in less then two.

2. Have a drip pan and a few rags handy. Some fluid will come out. Not a lot, just a few tablespoons.

3. Make sure to have a prybar or really big screwdriver. You'll need this leverage to push down on the cover and to reasemble.

Transgo
1. Have plenty of rags. We went through about 25 rags.

2. Take your time and follow the directions to a T. The video doesn't exactly match the directions, but the video will get you about 80% there. Where there are discrepancies, go with the printed manual.

3. Get some more shop towels and rags.

4. Have a large and clean work bench ready for the valvebody and transgo parts.

5. The video nor printed manual list torque specs, they just say to tighten evenly. That to me is around 12-15ft/lbs.

6. The 4th accumalator piston and pin may have a tendancy to fall out. Just put a dab of grease on it to keep it put.

7. Buy an extra screen(s) for the separator plate. There are two (each a different size), believe me it's not hard to break one of these things when your trying to force them in. The cost from Chevy was just around $3, there is an AC Delco version as well that costs a bit more at around $13.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

I agree with the stupid snap ring HAHA. Little bastard
Old 06-20-2005, 11:59 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks fo the heads up. I've been wrenching on my stuff for a while. I'm pretty confident and will dive into most things, but i'm still intimidated by tranys. I thoughe the servo was a cinch, but was scared at firsr. I need a transgo, and converter, but was contenplating taking it somewhere till I read this. Thanks guys for the experiences.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:31 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by unredeemed
So what tips can I give to you guys when installing all of this?

Servo's
1. The servo's are cake, don't be intimidated. The hardest part is putting back in that damn snap ring on the cover. An experienced guy could do them in under an hour. A non-experienced guy could do it in less then two.

2. Have a drip pan and a few rags handy. Some fluid will come out. Not a lot, just a few tablespoons.

3. Make sure to have a prybar or really big screwdriver. You'll need this leverage to push down on the cover and to reasemble.

Transgo
1. Have plenty of rags. We went through about 25 rags.

2. Take your time and follow the directions to a T. The video doesn't exactly match the directions, but the video will get you about 80% there. Where there are discrepancies, go with the printed manual.

3. Get some more shop towels and rags.

4. Have a large and clean work bench ready for the valvebody and transgo parts.

5. The video nor printed manual list torque specs, they just say to tighten evenly. That to me is around 12-15ft/lbs.

6. The 4th accumalator piston and pin may have a tendancy to fall out. Just put a dab of grease on it to keep it put.

7. Buy an extra screen(s) for the separator plate. There are two (each a different size), believe me it's not hard to break one of these things when your trying to force them in. The cost from Chevy was just around $3, there is an AC Delco version as well that costs a bit more at around $13.
sounds like good advice how many cans of cleaner did you go through? I was so paranoid of dirt I went through about 5 cans of electrical cleaner, lol, I was one high puppy!
Old 06-20-2005, 05:32 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
How true that is. If I had known my installer was riding their reputation and doing bad work, I would have gone elsewhere...

Thanks, I didn't think it could have been any harder than the cam install, and I was right. Thanks for being a great example of someone learning by doing.
I aim to please

Quick Reply: Transgo installed after about 12hours!!