Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transgo installed after about 12hours!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which kit did you purchase, and does it tell you what to drill the holes at? Thanks for the info, this thread has been a confidence booster. Also how much does the install cost, with the new servos?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get on E-bay and check out Oregon performance, they have all the stuff you need. I would get the hd kit. it does not come with video but the instructions are a breeze to follow. They do tell you what size to drill the holes and they also provide the bits. You will have to purchase the servo seperately. Get the vette servo or billet, (vette servos are cheap), also get an aluminum 1-2 accumulator piston, and the transgo seperator plate. The stock 1-2 piston is plastic and I would not trust it to hold up.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both unredeemed and I got the full Transgo 4L60E kit, the shrink wrapped version which also contains the video. The 4L60E-HD (or HD2) kit is the same thing, but it is for tranny professionals and does not have the video. This is the one you get off EBay for the most part.

The directions are pretty thorough and between them and the video, you have everything you need to know.

Check Thunder Racing, Summit, Jegs, etc. for the retail kit and pricing. As far as Vette servo and all the other obscure parts, I got mine from Oregon Performance Transmission on EBay, but there are other vendors as well. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2005, 06:04 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It's not necessary to purchase the video, especially if you do the install on a weekday, transgo's tech support is Very Good, just remember to let the phone ring, someone will pick it up
Old 06-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unredeemed
First off I'd like to send out a HUGE thanks to Naked AV for the extra hand, and voice of reason in getting this installed.

Last week I had installed a vette servo and billet OD servo. I got to drive it the whole week to get an idea of how it felt and the changes it made. To sum it up, it should have come like this from the factory. Not harsh or firm at all. Just positive, direct shifts that we're much quicker then stock.

Moving along...
Noon
Yesterday, Naked AV and I met at noon armed with some Costco Polish dogs, Gatorade, and my daughters TV and VCR. We were ready to tackle the install of the Transgo shift kit, separator plate, FWD accum pistson, 1/2 accum piston, and a new release check valve.

Without Naked AV's voice of reason I probably would have blitzed through the whole thing, but he insisted that we stop to look over the video prior to each step of disassembly and reassembly.

4:15PM
While putting back together the separator plate, I managed to strong arm one of the little filter screens that snap into the plate. We had about 40 minutes to find a GMC parts dealer that had the part number and had the part in stock. Luckily, with a little help from the parts guys at two different locations, we were able to locate an AC Delco replacement.

6:00PM
Later that night at one point, we heard a something drop under the car while we were giving the Valve Body a work over. We didn't see anything under the car and kept working.

We buttoned up the while constantly referencing the video inbetween steps. It was now about 8PM

We put in some fluid and let the car warm up. Things were going great. All the gear worked, and the shifter was selcting each gear while on jack stands without a noise or fuss.

8:45PM
We noticed we overfilled the trans fluid, and decided to figure out how much we lost when we drained it. During this, we heard a part fall out of our oil pan.

Turns out that a pin that should have stayed in the trans for the 4th piston accum, fell out.

Hold on a sec though... The car was already put back together, fluid filled up, and the car running and warmed up!

10PM
So under the knife we go again... Naked AV and I tore into the tranny ,pulled everything off again, found where the pin went, and put it all back together in about an hour!

No kidding. It took us about 8 hours from start to finish the first time. But on the 2nd tear down, it took us only an hour. We're pro's now!

As for driving impressions...

At part throttle, and crusing, you can't tell it's there. It's near stock. Other then the fact you notice the shifts are quick and positive with no delay or rev inbetween gears.

At mid to WOT, the shifts are awesome! We setup the shift kit with no washers and the holes drilled (if there was an option for hole size) to the smallest sizes. Nothing but solid, quick shifting. No bark or chirp of the 1>2 shift, just the next gear. The 2>3 was just as impressive. There there is the downshifts.. Pure bliss.

All in all, it was a messy and frustrating exercise. But in the end, the gains were so worth it. This is one mod that everyone should do.
Great post thanks! Which Transmission do I have in my truck. It's a 2004 ECSB 4.8L. I think I remeber reading here that it was 4l60e? Oregon Performance is a good place!