Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

transmission acting up

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission acting up

this is a rebuilt unit, by a local shop...not even 40k on it .i posted as few weeks back about it acting up when i was running it in third.i can feel the torque converter unlock, i give it more gas, and its like it pops out of gear.rpms shoot up to the rev limiter. it did it to me again today. its also been short shifting, comes out of second at like 75. and its not so quick to drop down into 1st anymore.i dont drive it hard very often, for fear of **** like this happening. just a rant, sorry.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any codes set? How does the fluid look?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:48 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes as BUILT408 ask any codes ? Short shifting and converter unlocking sounds more like a tuning/sensor issue. The transmission can only do what its told to do by the PCM.
To me sounds like either TPS or possibly a MAF issue. Either however can damage the trans.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no codes, fluid looks good, doesnt smell burnt at all. i have messed with the intake, i had an old volant style intake, and it had that resonator on the intake tube.probably made no difference at all, but i wanted it off of there. i ended up boogering it up, so i jury rigged something to work,. its just whats left of the volant tube a rubber coupling, a length of tube, another coupling to the maf,the velocity stack, and the filter . ive got the filter kind of poked down into a huge hole the provious owner cut where the factory airbox goes. that was probably an unneeded explanation, but it didnt seem to act up before i messed with it. ill clean the maf and try to get my intake sorted. thanks for your replies.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i should point out that i had it in third, i give it a little better than half throttle, it gets moving, more throttle, the converter unlocks, it gets to moving a little quicker, then i put it to the floor, and the above happens. the converter isnt just abruptly unlocking, i was trying to make it unlock so i could "go faster". its not like i have a fast truck at all, far from it.99 4.8 with 170k, intake and exhaust.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe ive got it backwards, i was reading another thread where they were saying their trucks pulled harder when the tc locked up. but they were boosted.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most likley place to find your problem is the last work performed and the area you worked on last is also the most likley area to cause the issues you describe and would also be unlikley to set a code.
So I think the area your looking at you are on the right track.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks again.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i cleaned the maf, and the filter.. while i was at it. ive lost all the bolts to my old volant, and cant really figure out a way to make it work since i cut the tube, like a dumbass. so i put the jury rigged one back on. i did notice, while i had the intake off.. that the lower transmission line has a slow leak. the line just wobbles about freely, a lot more movement as compared to the top one. took it out and drove it, it still slips a bit going into 3rd at full throttle. and it still lags dropping down into first from a roll, just about became 18 wheeler roadkill due to this.i whipped a u in front of one,stomped on it,and it just bogged. had to manually throw it down into first and it took off immediately. got out in front with plenty of room, but scared me for a sec.i wanted to do a bypass cooler, or one in line with the factory one. but i dont get the jargon, as far as references to fittings and tubing. ive read about this tru cool cooler, but i wouldnt know how to plumb it. i did search, but the site keeps fcking up on me, and what i did find wasnt very informative.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how do i address the leak? are there o rings in there, i cant remember.