Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

"Transmission Hot" ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Transmission Hot" ?

I just had a 4l85e put into my YD. Everything with it is running perfectly for about 1000 miles now but I have been having a strange problem since it was installed. Randomly I will get a message on my dash that says "Transmission Hot." The wierd thing about it is that my dash trans temp gauge doesn't show it being anywhere near hot. It reads about 165-170 when this message pops up. Its usually after a 30-45 minute drive. The even more strange part is that, I was sitting in rush hour traffic and the trans temp gauge showed almost 200 but that message didn't come on until it cooled down to 165-170. I have an upgraded trans cooler as well. Heres the transmission I bought with a list of the parts it came with. http://www.gearstar.net/transmissions/more.php?unid=65

I switched over from a 4l65 and I am kind of thinking it might be something in the computer making it read this message. Anyone have any thoughts on what going on?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you have it tuned after the swap?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
did you have it tuned after the swap?
Yeah I had it retuned and I believe they had to rewire some stuff as well.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

how do you like the gearstar?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

get a big *** cooler
Old 12-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by terravast4
how do you like the gearstar?
So far its a beast. Its a bummer Flt couldn't recommend the right transmission for my setup. Would have saved me a couple grand. Pretty much the reason I wouldn't buy from them again. They weren't very helpful and despite me going with their recommendation they wanted me to practically pay full price for a second transmission from them when they told me the first one would be the last one I would need. They also told me it would take 3 weeks for me to even get another one made . I had their lvl5 4l65e which at the time was the best one they made. This transmission is a lot better than theirs. Best part was because the shop I have my work done at was able to get me the new transmission within days.

Originally Posted by 03chevyroyce
get a big *** cooler
I've got a big *** cooler already. I've got a 30,000 GVW cooler already.

The weird thing is I don't really think the transmission is actually getting hot. The gauge never reads hot and when they were data logging the temps for the trans never showed anything irregular.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:07 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If possible my best advise would be to try to monitor the trans temps via a scan tool when this condition occurs. Compare this with your gauge in your dash. See if in fact they are reading the same. With a scan tool or tuning software the reading will be done with an internal sensor located on valve body. Where is the sensor for your gauge located? If it is located in a pressure port then this might be an issue. Also in tuning software I would look to see if the
"Transmission Hot" test can be turned off. This might be able to be done with a tech 2 as well. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 12-18-2009 at 05:47 AM. Reason: info on topic
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I find it hard to believe that we could not recommend the correct trans for your application. By looking at the vehicle listed in your Sig and if you wanted to go with an 80, then a level 3 or 4 would have been my recommendation. Sounds to me that their was a miscommunication when you spoke with us. Edit....here is a conversation we had in our sales thread back in October of last year. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...40#post4026140 By looking at some of your posts it seems that you went through a few other transmissions before even approaching us.

The 65 is only as good as it is and well looking at what you posted here an 80 would have been a better choice when you purchase the 65. In most cases the conversion is why you guys stick with the 60 series transmission. No 4l6XE transmission is going to last forever. Not sure what failed in your unit but these are the facts. We have many running similar combo's to what you are running and they have held up well. We have made some changes to our program to make the 60 better but nothing is bullet proof. Not even the GS 80 you are currently running. I find this funny because we were approached to built their OD units recently.

As for the time it takes for us to get you a unit it is what it is. We are a small shop that builds units per the orders we get. I'm sure that we would have worked with you on a second unit but we were not going to give it away nor was it going to be put infront of other orders we had at the time. If you were told 3 weeks then that is how backed up we were at the time. Sorry that we were unable to satisfy your needs. Best of luck with your new combination and getting your issues sorted out. Vince
Vince,

this is not why I made this thread do you have anything you contribute to help me?

When I first contacted you guys I told you I had gone through two built 4l65's already. I askEd your rep Andy what tranmission would be the end of me replacing transmissions. His reply was that your 4l65 would be the optimal unt for my truck. I even specifically askedy if I should upgrade to the 4l80 at that time and you guys assured me that your transmission would be the last I would need. I was ready to put the money into the conversion at that time so it wasn't me trying to find a cheaper way to bandaid my trans.

When I called Andy after your trans gave out on me he was helpful in the respect that he was curtious to me but really just told me in so many words "to bad" we have other vehicals running similar setups that aren't having problems and even though he recommended that transmission to me I would have to basically pay full price minus the 10% off special you had at the time. I asked if I could give you my transmission in exchange and pay the difference of the intial cost from the 4l80. That was a no go. He told me to send it to you guys PAY you to rebuild or fix this transmission that was supposed to be the last one I would need and sell it on my own. The problem about that is after I ship it to you guys, pay for the repairs, I am looking at only recovering a few hundred bucks of the couple thousand I spent going with what you guys told me I needed.

So if gearstar contacted you to build their od units did you get the job?

I don't think yours product is bad at all! It actually lasted a decent amount of time ( almost 10k miles) but that was not towing anything and being easy on the unit. I had told you guys that I would be towing 5k lbs boat and you guys told me it would be fine and you selected a close to stock stall that would be good for towing. After taking my boat out of the water for the season the transmission gave out within a couple weeks. I only towed the boat for about 30 miles primarily on the highway.

This issue I have is that you guys recommended the wrong transmission for me. Please pm if you want to discuss this. I would like my thread to stay on topic. I'm not bashing you guys just a bit disapointed with what happened and how it was handled.

Last edited by Bromaguire; 12-17-2009 at 09:48 AM.