Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transmission issues again...any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Transmission issues again...any suggestions?

In 2010 I burned the Transmission on my 2008 silverado the guy who did my cam and heads at gm said it was about the same to just rebuild my transmission so did with a converter and some little bs things he said would help; well the converter from TCI which I have in storage now that always felt lose which I knew and I liked the way it would launch and then 2011 again 6 months later goes out again burned 2nd 3rd and 4th fried. I wait for a year searching and asking for ideas well November or so of 2012 I get it rebuilt for a pretty penny from a well known person it takes him about three days i paid a little more than half 3 or 4 months back for performance parts like Racing high pump, racing racing sleeved drum, Trans go hd-2, corvette servo,Borg Warner clutches, aluminum accumulator pistons, and a lot more like 5 pin planeteries front and rear some really good billet input and output shafts and I mean ever little part was new but a couple things like the pump well I even get a different converter from yank the street/strip pro and I loved the way she ran when he finished yanked hard into second but I brought it home and it sat parked for about a month or so with a little driving to convient stores and once to lubbock probably put 250miles on it before it didn't move again for a stand still with my pregnant girlfriend and her sister in the truck right up the street from my our duplex I literally push the truck with them inside bc it's cold outside for a whole block at midnight well next day call to the guy who fixed it and he's very cooperative and a little confused when I told him I hadn't pushed it hard or really even ran it I took Trans to him and its not around the corner it's pretty far and he receives it checks everything out and it's just the pump so I'm like okay cool and he even finds a guy to meet me about 1 hour away which is better than the 9 I drive with a trailer and truck and tells me he redid the hub on my converter and I forget what it looked like at the time but when I got it back I swear it looked like my tci and I ordered the aluminum flex plate from circle d the orange one think that factory ones junk I install the Trans converter and flex plate okay all good and dandy I pull it out of the shop after installing fluid and checking pressure go around town for a bit and before I could Just mash the gas and she would chirp well no not this time and I try to stall and it was only to 15k wow when it use to get up to 3k no problem well I decide its okay I'm not gonna push it hard for awhile I just had my newborn and I had a company truck well 3 to 4 months later I probably didn't put but 200 miles and it starts to slip and this is dissappointing by now I feel I should of put a 6l90e for as much money as I put well I drive it to our new house the day I get laid off and bam lose all gears no shift and just growls at the Trans and clunks I'm just gonna park it in garage I had already talked about taking to the mechanic and I throw it in reverse to get truck out of the road bam truck dies there's a whole lot more in the story about the issues I have had but I honestly just want the truck to make it on small trips and around town any suggestions are greatly appreciated 3rd rebuild after 500 miles she only has 48000 miles and already almost 6 years old she sits there day in and out with tumble weeds around her. I have called the mechanic he's a great guy but understand there's frustration from this guy I can tell I'm sure it's frustrating to have the same guy call you 2 in one year for something that should be good. What should I do next I don't know if I can afford what I paid last time again and If I could I don't know what I should get I want it to run strong now and not break for just dd not racing . Thank you for taking the time and trust me any criticism or suggestions will help me out now.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was probably one of the hardest posts to read that I have seen in a long time. Anyway, from what i understand you keep blowing your trans and now you want to put a 6l90e in it? If you have the info on the swap and can make it work i say go for it. If you cant find any info on the six speed i would personally go 4l80 since there is a ton of info out there.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

It's suppose to be better than a 4l80 and this is the 3rd time to rebuild it it's simple I've burned it 4 times with in a 500 mile drive simple as that and I'm asking for any suggestions to what I should do to just drive it around town.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are your cooler lines plugged perhaps? or maybe the inside of your radiator is broke an ur not pumping any fluid around? had a buddy that went threw 3 transmissions in bout 1000 miles he just had plugged lines so i would check that. hope this helps
Old 03-30-2013, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have bad news for you. All the ball bearings in your transmission are probably missing, along with all your punctuation in that gobbledygook above.

Try again, make it easier to read this time around and more people can help you rather than looking for their aspirin.