Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

transmission questiong about shift kit/ torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission question about shift kit/ torque converter

a friend of mine has a max truck and wants to throw on a radix magna charger and other bolt on stuff. i told him to get a yank 3000 stall converter to help compliment the power gain. i told him to also get a transgo shift kit. will all this stuff help out the tranny? will the supercharger destroy his tranny? what does he need to do to save the tranny?

how does the shift kit work? he doesn't want a hard shift that will cause the tires to chirp. he is a daily driver and doesn't want to break his neck or anything close to that. he likes his smooth shifting.

will the torque converter help out any or should he not get it with the supercharger setup? thanks for the help....

Last edited by Phatchevy; 09-07-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Default Tune

NELSONS PERFORMANCE can take care of that thru a tune.

Allen is great to work with an the tunes are OUTSTANDING
Old 09-07-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 04GIBBS
NELSONS PERFORMANCE can take care of that thru a tune.

Allen is great to work with an the tunes are OUTSTANDING

Nelson performance can only up the line pressure. A full shift kit is superior to what a tune can do. The shift kit will help the tranny in many ways and firmness can be adjusted either in the shift kit or in the tuning. The stall will soften those shifts, so a shift kit will make up for that.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Just put a transgo HD-2 in my truck with a yank 3000. The shift kit allows you to adjust shift firmness by the number of shims you put under the 1-2 accumulator piston spring. I wanted a hard shift, so I went with 3 shims. It snaps your neck and barks second at anything over half throttle. I think most just use one shim for daily drivers. If he wants the tranny to live, don't put the blower on. I run my truck hard, but once you start with a power adder the transmission is a time bomb. I put the shift kit and 2nd and 4th gear billet servos in mine. I'm hoping this will make it last a little longer, but I knew up front it's still not going to last forever.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Default Exhaust

You would be the talk of the town man. Emails would be flying all night the emails would read "YO DID YOU SEE THE BAD *** TRUCK WITH THE PIPES STICKING OUT OF THE HOOD DOING A PRO STREET BURNOUT IT WAS ******* SICK" then someone would post you truck on the web CHECK THIS out and BAAAMMM it will be your truck!!

Damn sorry I just lost it there