Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transmission troubles again

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 03:30 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission troubles again

OK...my tranny is a built 4L60E from a local trans shop. Been fine for 2+ years. Today I was pulling into my dad's subdivision. Stopped at the guardhouse, got the gate opened, started to pull out, one clunk, felt like the trans dropped into 2nd gear. Drove down the street and slowed down for a turn, another clunk, 2nd gear instead of 1st. Came around the final corner, tried to give it a little more gas (maybe 25% throttle at most), got another clunk and a grinding noise that sounded like gear teeth stripping. truck didn't accelerate at all. Put in in neutral and coasted into dad's driveway. Does anyone have any idea based on the noises what could be happening? It will be a day or two till I can check anything.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard that only happens to people who run dual alternator set-ups. Sorry, couldn't resisit LOL!

Grinding metal cant be good. I would drop the pan and see what you get before you pump your TC full of shavings.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:03 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
I heard that only happens to people who run dual alternator set-ups. Sorry, couldn't resisit LOL!

Grinding metal cant be good. I would drop the pan and see what you get before you pump your TC full of shavings.

Pbtthhhhhhhhhhh! Whatever. I may not be able to drive the truck, but at least I could power a welder or something.

I'm gonna have the truck towed back to my house to work on it, probably won't be able to get to it till Monday though cause of Christmas plans. Is it safe to start the truck, just not put it in gear? Or will the pump start working any time the motor is running?
Old 12-24-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the pump runs anytime the input shaft on the transmission turns... IE. anytime the engine is running unfortantly.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grinding noise could very well be the planets!!
Old 12-24-2005, 09:58 PM
High on diesel fumes

Grrrr....I guess I'll be pulling it out on Monday.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah and grinding means lots of metal shavings sent through torque converter and trans coolers. Sorry.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:15 AM
High on diesel fumes

Well new twist....tow truck driver gets to my dad's to pick up the truck. Put it in neutral, won't roll. Push it back and forth and eventually it pops real loud and rolls back a few inches, then won't roll again.

Next attempt....put the transfer case in neutral. Take the trans out of the equation right? Nope....still won't roll. Same exact thing as before. Had to drop both drive shafts to get the truck to roll. So....does it sound like it could be the transfer case? That would be an amazing development at this point.....
Old 12-25-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That doesn't get the trans out of the equation. My truck won't roll backwards and its 2wd. If ANYTHING in there gets locked, it won't spin at all. If you chewed some teeth that got caught up, or cracked a drum it might not spin. Chances are that metal, if thats what it is, has already been sent through the rest of your tranny. How were your temps prior too this? Any slipping or anything? What all was replaced when it was rebuilt?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like it could be the t-case since it wouldnt shift into netral on the t-case. Both times I blew the trans the tcase would still go into neutral.

Quick Reply: Transmission troubles again