Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transmissions?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyc125
Not to stir the pot, but would have to disagree on the fact that the 4l60e is the best tranny he could have in his truck.
You are so far off the mark it's actually funny. I sat and read your post laughing. Minnesota brethren aside, you need to do your research and have more hands on experience before making a claim like that.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
you could save money by just beefing up the 60e in it IMO. as long as you dont run 400 hp with those huge tires then you should be fine with updated clutches harden shafts a better reaction shell (weak link) and tightly built clutch packs (a lot of slack and you get sloppy hard shifts that break crap), stronger forward sprag, vette servo, bigger boost valve, accumolator springs and some small stuff. i probably forgot some stuff but it actually is all a lot cheaper than it seems like.
Take note joeyc125, this is a real answer. A few parts you could do without, but it's the best answer nonetheless.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:31 AM
12 Second Club

I have to strongly dis-agree.

every 4L60E I've seen is junk, even the level 10billion stage 50,000 ones are junk in their own right.

I'd assume have a stock 4L80e with 100k on it, than even a built to the gills 60
Old 07-19-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
I have to strongly dis-agree.
You can disagree all you want. I build these 60E's myself from scratch and I know where the weak points are and how much the tranny's can handle. Simply put, the 4L60E is the best 4 speed transmission on the market today, only out-done by the new 6 speed auto from GM. When you go with an 80E, you're only downgrading in performance for an increase in sheer strength when in reality all one has to do is learn how to drive properly. This knowledge comes from rebuilding many 60E's and knowing what driving styles can lead to premature failure.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by InchUp
You can disagree all you want. I build these 60E's myself from scratch and I know where the weak points are and how much the tranny's can handle. Simply put, the 4L60E is the best 4 speed transmission on the market today, only out-done by the new 6 speed auto from GM. When you go with an 80E, you're only downgrading in performance for an increase in sheer strength when in reality all one has to do is learn how to drive properly. This knowledge comes from rebuilding many 60E's and knowing what driving styles can lead to premature failure.
sorry man, but adjusting your driving style to preserve the life a tranny is pretty lame.

if I can't get in my truck, hit the loud pedal at ANY instance, and have to worry about the integrity of a part holding up, I'll swap out whatever it takes to be capable of doing so.

and how is the 60 a better performing tranny? I know it has less drivetrain loss than an 80, but the gear split is horrible. I mean, it's nice have a 3.06:1 first, but when shifting to second, there's a major bogging issue with any vehicle, whether it's drag racing, mud bogging, or hill climbing.

the 80's gear split (especially 1st to 2nd) is definately a benefit to me, along with it's emense (sp?) power handling capability over the 60.

simply put, 90% of the performance "built" 60's out there won't even hold up to what a used junk-yard 80 will.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:06 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry man, but adjusting your driving style to preserve the life a tranny is pretty lame.

I have to agree with you on that one.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60e the best tranny?? umm.. where have i been? i coulda sworn a 80e with a shift kit was doin just as good if not better than a fully built 60e..
Old 07-21-2008, 02:32 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by InchUp
You are so far off the mark it's actually funny. I sat and read your post laughing. Minnesota brethren aside, you need to do your research and have more hands on experience before making a claim like that.
I am off the mark?? You better go back to school son, and you should also know who you are making such ignorant comments about also. I would like you to start a thread in the drivetrain section saying the 60 is the best tranny you could have in a truck like his and see how many people are laughing! I am not saying the 60 can't be properly built for his application. But in stock form if you think it is going to last with a lift, big tires, cam, etc you are sadly mistaken. So i suggest if you think you are going to make respectable power with your 5.7, you build a spare or two for that setup. I was trying to respectfully disagree with you, but it seems you are too ignorant to do the same.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

I find it funny that out of the 4 people here saying the 60E is trash, none of you have broken one. A puddle on the ground from a leaking seal is nothing, I mean total carnage where parts end up in the trans pan. How many of you have personal experience building one of these? Just changing out the servo on the side of the tranny with the trans still in the truck does not count, that's foreplay. The sole reason you all hate the 60E is because of this forum. One guy says the 80E is all he'll run with a boosted 6.0L and the rest of his readers follow suit. Why? Because he said so. Not because they've had 60E's blow up by personal experience, but just because he said so. You're willing to spend thousands of dollars on a tranny swap to the 80E because one guy said so, and the rest followed like a flock of dumb geese following the lead goose. So many of the members of this forum say they can think outside of the box, but that presupposes that you all could think in it first. I know what my 60E is capable of because I built it. How many of you can say the same? Do not doubt this transmission until you break it yourself, and when you do, ask if it was a driver's error because high horsepower and big tires don't break a tranny, I prove that every day. Driving stupid breaks transmissions. I beat the living **** out of my 60E's on road and off road, more so than many of the guys on this site. I've never had one **** out on me because my experience rebuilding the 60E's gives me insight on what driving conditions and stupid maneuvers will break parts. I am done with this thread because it is apparent to me now I'm talking to the wall. Good luck to you all on your 80E swaps.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

he's not sayin stop drivin hard just dont do stupid useless crap like brake torque to 3500 rpms or something like that. i also from building experience see that you can make a 60E stand up to what you want as long as your not stupid (mine is built in my truck and i drive like a freeakin nut case). so two people who build transmission say keep it but the others will not try that but just listen to other non builders. besides what are yall bashing inchup about? he is voicing his opinion (which is right) but yall dont want to believe it you just want to argue with him like he is tryin to force yall to do something

Quick Reply: Transmissions?!?!?