Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transmissions?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:28 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, if you knew what ive had and the stuff ive been through you would know, i had an 01 before this one, lifted with 35" procomp at's. 3 60's later i went a different route. And i would hardly call my driving "stupid". And if you look at my first post i suggested he upgrade the 60 if it goes, but you must be too excited to call others newbs to see that. Myself am not going to get so fired up about this thread. I will leave it at that. But i have to say a little respect will go along ways, especially with local folks willing to help others.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

im not upset or anything like that i was just stickin up for inchup cause everyone was ganging up on him acussing him of being stupid. like everyone i love voiced opinions just not people being rude. if you dont like 60E thats ok but have a reason besides no one else does. if you do sweet

btw i like your quote in ur sig. its freakin hillarious
Old 07-21-2008, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

the 4L60E in my formula was on it's way out with less than 50k on the GM REMAN. tranny that someone had already put in it, cuz the first one **** out.

I'll give you this: the 4L60E in my '94 truck didn't **** out, it started pissing fluid out the front seal b/c the bushing that the converter rides on wore out, let the converter sag, and tore the seal. it did this at 109k.

I pulled and installed a 4L60E tranny out of a 408 blown hummer H2 TWICE, one was the stocker that lost second gear (1,3,4,lockup is all it had) after the owner paid $4k for a "supposed" bulletproof 4L65E with all the "good stuff" from Phoenix transmissions???that was guranteed NOT to break, under any circumstances, it died after a 25mile trip to town and back.

a friend of mine BROKE THE OUTPUT SHAFT on a 4L60E in a '97 LT1 car with headers and 3.73 gear with street tires, how the f*ck do you do that??

I've helped install many aftermarket converter's in my friend's f-body's w/ 4L60E's, to only days later, pull both the tranny and the converter out for a TH-350 after the converter's have most likely helped junk out a once-decent tranny.

granted, I could make every part inside a tranny, and even the case if I had the material, I have absolutely NO clue as to what goes in to a tranny build, nor do I really care, that's what people like inchup, FLT, etc get paid to do. although I might try and rebuild a TH-350 in the near future...

I know there are bound to be horror stories for guys that have 4L80E's, but they are MUCH fewer that the '60 owners...

think of it like this instead: if the g-80 in your 10-bolt ***** out, are you going to try and beef it up? or are you going to swap it out for a true-trac? if you bust your 10bolt all together, are you going to rebuild it, or swap in a 9.5" 14-bolt?

GM puts the 4L60e in the 1/2ton trucks b/c its a cheap and readily available transmission with a modest tow rating and a torque rating on the virge of what a stock 5.3 will throw at it. remember the 700r4 was originally debuted behind the powerhouse 6.2 diesel, with all of it's 130hp and 240ft-lbs of torque, you can only put soo much perfume on a pig...

still, what are the performance benefits of a 4L60E over a 4L80E? I still can't figure that one out?

not starting ****, just stating the facts.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
still, what are the performance benefits of a 4L60E over a 4L80E? I still can't figure that one out?

not starting ****, just stating the facts.

im not arguing i like the fact that you have proof as to why you dont like em thats great! but the performance losses you were wondering about are more weight a lot more money and im not possative but pretty sure you lose a lot more power going through an 80E over a 60E
Old 07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

My tranny guy swears by the 60e, Ive been through 2 stockers and 1 built tranny. Granted the built one was because of a converter defect. Realize all day long your pushing a 5500 lb truck, let alone the rotational mass of the tires. Probly the stock trans cooler that is located in the coolness of your 190 degree radiator. I think with a few upgrades the 60e can be good, a good cooler and build can go a long way. a built 60e is now in my truck

On another note there are guys on here that have gone through 10+ 60e's yeah 10, I would say driving habits do make a difference, granted i beat the hell outta mine.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:41 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Well first off I apologize to InchUp and anyone else if you guys thought i was ganging up or being rude, i am trying to disagree in a respectful way and not downing on anyones ability or knowledge, i am just stating my opinion about these trannies. I do have experience with them, off road and on, and for a stock truck they seem to be ok. In a performance or lifted app. i would not suggest replacing it with a stock one. I would either beef up the known weak links or in my case i will go to an 80e due to my heavy truck, tendency to tow my mud truck frequently, and plans for bigger power over 400rwhp down the road. InchUp, if you have good luck w/ your 60's the way you build them then that works for you, congrats. I have not had the best luck with stockers or mildly built ones and my truck is my dd, so i want to plan for as few possible probs as possible. I do know the 80 is 200lbs heavier and eats another 4% power or so. Whichever way you go, there is alot of info on here from alot of people who have been through all situations. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont like the 60Es.. ive been through a few of them and had to remove it 16 times for different issues.. I now have a 45k mile 80E with a HD-2 shift kit and i love it.
Theres no way i would go back to a 60E..

OH and i ran the snot out of it, and got tired of dropping the trans all the time.

and from the 4 years ive been on this site ive seen all the built to the gills level 10 4l65Es fail.

Only stock 80E ive seen break was someguy on here cutting 1.5 60's and Parish when he broke the output shaft on one of his 80Es, but look at how much power he put through it.

I tow alot so i like to know that i now have a trans i dont have to worry about.

With the 65E i had a Yank TT3000 and it came out of the hole pretty good.
The 80E with the stock converter doesnt come out of the hole good but it pulls harder up top and feels like it traps alot at a higher speed. Still waitin to go to the track to test the nitrous..

And by the way you can get everything you need to put a 80E in and even a shift kit for alot cheaper than a Built "65E".
Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Need More N2O Mod

I know once the FLT 65e breaks and i didn't say if. i am going to go with a 80e. i know it probably wont hold up to what i am going to throw at it. and I have broke a many 65e's that have been built and even stock ones with stock trucks. I have been stranded 1500 miles away from home when i broke a drum on a 2-3 shift. and was lucky enough to have a buddy there and we rebuilt it with stock parts to get me back home. now i tow the truck to the track but i dont want to get stranded again on the side of the road when i am out cruzing around. The only reason i didn't go with a 80e this time is because of the awd tcase and having to deal with making it work.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can see how a AWD/4WD would be a bit more difficult for the 80E swap.. my 2wd swap was really easy.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Need More N2O Mod

its a whole lot easier now for the swap than it was over 2 years ago

Quick Reply: Transmissions?!?!?