Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tread pics of TOYO Proxes STII

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like they will grip.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:50 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK Corey report!

How do you like the traction, handling...are they quiet?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, I am about to go get my truck aligned then I will know more... So far they are quiet, they seem to handle well considering the truck is out of alignment... I will go get some WOT passes after the alignment... I was really hoping to go to the track but they closed due to the 26* weather... Actually the tread pattern is really starting to grow on me...
Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Resident Retard

Well, honestly i am not impressed with the dry traction... I just did a few WOT runs and I think traction was better with my grabbers... With these my tires just light up with anything below 35mph ... Another wierd thing is that before when I broke traction my truck would still go straight, with the new tires or drop the butt end of my truck starts to weeve back and forth... So IMO these tires are OK, they are harder than my grabber UHPs so maybe that is it... I dunno...
Old 12-21-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
why is everyone so bent on what the tread pattern looks like? what about how the damn things perform? reminds me of when i sold shoes back in high school...girl tries on shoes and says.... these are cute but really hurt my feet...ill take them because they are cute.
Exactly! I don't care if I loose 50hp with this cam but it better lope.

I was not impressed with my Toyo STs, I heard a lot say they have great traction before I bought them. They seem average to me. I had a set of Nittos before the Toyos that worked a lot better.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Corey if that was after your suspension swap then welcome, with the drop it dosent help wait till you do the c-notch. Thats in my future.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Well, honestly i am not impressed with the dry traction... I just did a few WOT runs and I think traction was better with my grabbers... With these my tires just light up with anything below 35mph ... Another wierd thing is that before when I broke traction my truck would still go straight, with the new tires or drop the butt end of my truck starts to weeve back and forth... So IMO these tires are OK, they are harder than my grabber UHPs so maybe that is it... I dunno...
how much tire pressure are you running? from a 10-15mph roll, i hook up and boogie with close to 500rwhp and cal tracs with a finessed throttle stab to WOT. they feel almost as sticky as my old KDWs, but at nearly half the cost. then again, there is no street tire that will hold if i just slam the throttle at anything under 25mph.

im more than satisfied for the money and the "all important look"

when i burn thru these, i will probably try something else....thats the way it goes
Old 12-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
how much tire pressure are you running? from a 10-15mph roll, i hook up and boogie with close to 500rwhp and cal tracs with a finessed throttle stab to WOT. they feel almost as sticky as my old KDWs, but at nearly half the cost. then again, there is no street tire that will hold if i just slam the throttle at anything under 25mph.

im more than satisfied for the money and the "all important look"

when i burn thru these, i will probably try something else....thats the way it goes
I am not saying there bad at all. I like the look and everything, I realy need to tweak my setup some... I have no clue on the tire pressure, I still need go check. Also my shock and lack of C-notch I am pretty sure they are also limiting the traction, plus the alignment being off, which is probably why is started weaving... So in a few days and most importantly a track day will tell the tale... I like the look of these tires better than my UHPs thou...
Old 12-21-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

im running 32 out back and 36 up front. if you had them installed at a trire shop, those guys tend to royally screw up tire pressures. its either gonna be at 20psi or 50psi. dangerous **** there.

another good note...one of mine balanced with ZERO lead. =)

i have a c notch with my 4-2 drop....makes a difference for sure. i recommend the belltech kit....much better than the DJM. i have not seen a chasis tech or mcgaugheys kit in person so cant say. what shocks do you have and what are you changing to?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

interesting on the tread pattern, the more the wear the more tread patch you will gain. also on my original proxes, right off the bat with them new, traction sucked. but with gettin some miles on the traction got alot better

Quick Reply: Tread pics of TOYO Proxes STII