Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tru Trac install opinions ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tru Trac install opinions ?

Ok so i've finally tracked down a 14 bolt axle for the truck, this time i was super demanding and asked them to email me pics before i go get it to save my time and money. (Drove 8 hours for a supposed 14 bolt that was a stock 10 bolt) on Monday.

Only obstacles i've found so far is that this is a drum brake axle and i have discs from the factory. I think the stock discs will bolt right up.

I want to ditch the g80 and install a tru trac right from the get go. This axle is from a theft recovery with 14000 miles on it. Will the install be as simple as unbolting the gear from the diff and bolting it to the tru track and reinstalling. Or will this mess with my whole pattern ? I def dont want to get in over my head and ruin a new gear set as well as possibly my new tru trac.

am i making things more complicated then they need to be ?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were me this is what I would do. Check BL on the setup before removal. Remove G80 carrier and swap ring gear onto TruTrac. New carrier bearings and races (cones/cups) and install TruTrac. Set BL to the reading you had with original setup and you should be good to go. If you have gear paste it would be nice to run a pattern original and with TT installed. But since you won't disturb pinion depth you should be alright if you don't check pattern. Back lash is what will be the critical check here, you might get lucky and have it swap right over with the same shims. But it needs to be back where it was originally so you don't have gear whine or excessive wear. Good luck.