Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Truck Back at the Dealer for Brake Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:29 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
They haven't designed a rear disc brake kit that will fit on the 6 lug G80 axle.
So there is really no cheap swap to do from previous rear disc braked Silverados.
Bear Brakes is the only on I know of that offers a rear disc brake conversion kit. It aint cheap either. About $1300.00 for just the kit for the rear.
Then you will never be able place a smaller rim out back with a slick. There kit requires 18" or larger rims to clear the 14" rotors and calipers.
I would do the kit if they had one that would allow for 17" rim at minimum.
Oh well, guess we'll see what happens this time.

Jim

Really????

My 04' Has the same rear as my 05' and it had disc brakes. Am I missing something???
Old 03-30-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FUNZ71
Really????

My 04' Has the same rear as my 05' and it had disc brakes. Am I missing something???
the VHO edition came with a larger rearend.......12 bolt, I think?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im still on my factory brakes on the front.. and thats after 140,000 miles. by the looks of them they will probably last another 100,000 miles.. the rear pads were replaced at 110k miles (burnouts dont help back brakes....), the driver side parking brake shoe started rubbin metal to metal on the inside so i replaced shoes, pads, and rotors at about 130k miles. only for about $90.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FUNZ71
Really????

Even with the larger 14 bolt rear I have it will still acomodate for the disc brakes that are on your 04' Silverado's. If you do this, you will lose braking power. That is the entire reason they changed their brakes on the Silverado.
You just have to have all of the rear brake hardware, disc backing plate, parking cables and assembly, parking brake shoes, brake pads and rotors.
Not too sure what to do for an upgrade at this time.

Jim
Old 03-31-2006, 09:30 AM
14 Second Truck Club

What about a 2500hd rear end with disc brakes?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

It has the same, but has 8-lug axles. The 2500HD's also come with Hydra-boost that increases the applied brake presure quite a bit more than our 1500 Silverados will. They need the extra brake power due to their carrying and pulling capacities.

Jim
Old 03-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Teching In

I have an 06 Siverado 1500 2wd with rear drum brake issues and I have had them ever since 500 miles. It progressively has gotten worse as I put more miles on it. I took the drums off at around 750 miles and I had them turned at a local tire kingdom. All was fine for about another 500miles when I switched my stock 17" wheels to a larger aftermarket Centerline 18" wheel setup and the brakes have been nothing but a headache. I recently hit 3,000 miles and I took it to the dealer for it's first free service and they turned the drums. So now I will just have to see how long they will last until the pulsation from hell comes back. They pulsated so bad when I put the 18" wheels on that whenever I pressed the brake pedal from a 45 mph roll that the entire rear end of the truck meaning the bed would shake terribly. I hate the new rear brakes! It doesn't help either that I have to deal with stop and go traffic on a day to day basis in beautiful Florida.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Little 5.3 Wulf Truck
I have an 06 Siverado 1500 2wd with rear drum brake issues and I have had them ever since 500 miles. It progressively has gotten worse as I put more miles on it. I took the drums off at around 750 miles and I had them turned at a local tire kingdom. All was fine for about another 500miles when I switched my stock 17" wheels to a larger aftermarket Centerline 18" wheel setup and the brakes have been nothing but a headache. I recently hit 3,000 miles and I took it to the dealer for it's first free service and they turned the drums. So now I will just have to see how long they will last until the pulsation from hell comes back. They pulsated so bad when I put the 18" wheels on that whenever I pressed the brake pedal from a 45 mph roll that the entire rear end of the truck meaning the bed would shake terribly. I hate the new rear brakes! It doesn't help either that I have to deal with stop and go traffic on a day to day basis in beautiful Florida.
I know exactly what you mean! To the T! I had mine serviced 8 times man! Under warranty! Don't let that dealership give you hell. GM has a problem with the drum brakes and is not admitting up to just yet. Time will tell.
All of us that bought 05 & 06 1500 series GM trucks got the bad end of the deal. The new 07' will be totally different from the ground up! Including upgraded and revised braking system! Damn! I knew I should have waited!
Then again, I never buy a first year out newly designed vehicle.
The only real way to fix your rear drum brake problem is to have the drums resurfaced and replace the rear shoes.
It took all of 8 warranty repairs for them to replace the rear shoes. And it just may have fixed my problem like your having for a while. I'm sure it will do it again, but it will take a while though.
If you don't replace the rear shoes, it will continue to give you problems.

Jim
Old 04-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
I know exactly what you mean! To the T! I had mine serviced 8 times man! Under warranty! Don't let that dealership give you hell. GM has a problem with the drum brakes and is not admitting up to just yet. Time will tell.
All of us that bought 05 & 06 1500 series GM trucks got the bad end of the deal. The new 07' will be totally different from the ground up! Including upgraded and revised braking system! Damn! I knew I should have waited!
Then again, I never buy a first year out newly designed vehicle.
The only real way to fix your rear drum brake problem is to have the drums resurfaced and replace the rear shoes.
It took all of 8 warranty repairs for them to replace the rear shoes. And it just may have fixed my problem like your having for a while. I'm sure it will do it again, but it will take a while though.
If you don't replace the rear shoes, it will continue to give you problems.

Jim
Thanks for the reply! The brakes were just resurfaced four days ago and they are already starting to pulsate. I'll tell them about this website so they can read other peoples problems with the rear brakes and maybe they will do something like change my shoes and drums. I don't understand that some people have this problem and some don't. My friend just bought a brand new 06 SS truck 2wd with rear drums and he doesn't have any problems yet, but he might eventually.
Matt
Old 04-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Brakes just started to pulsate today really bad and I have only put around 75 miles on the resurfaced drums. GM called to do a follow up on my service and I told them that I am having problems with the brakes already again. The dealership that I had it serviced at is going to be calling me and I will tell them about your truck and this site. Maybe they will do something about it. I hope!

Quick Reply: Truck Back at the Dealer for Brake Repairs