Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Truck bounces?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

def. try some new shocks. My trucks wheels/suspension is stock and over bumps it rode like absolute ****. I replaced them with a set of Rancho RSXs and it was like a night and day difference, truck rides way better now. On a side note- one of the old (origional) shocks was fine, the other compressed with almost no resistance and made a noise like the oil was leaking past a seal or something when I did compress it. They had 70k on them so I guess they did their time, now I gotta look into doing the fronts!
Old 12-22-2006, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

I drive a 2005 RCSB 2wd. When I first bought the truck it would pogo if I hit a pretty good bump, it acts like the rebound on the new shocks GM uses isn't quite right for our trucks. I could see where heavy 20's would worsen the problem. The shocks cost me about $280 at a local speed shop and is one of the better mods I have done to the truck, I wish I had done it the day I bought the truck. It rides smoother and soaks up bumps better along with just a little more stiffness.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

I just sold my 20s, it rode like **** and stoped like **** too. Im back to stock and it rides like a new truck. You should try new shocks cause i was about to when my trans took a bump on me. I think those 20s did not like the burn outs to much. I wish you luck with them dubs, i said screw them and using the money to get a converter and a built trans.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:13 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between the stock shocks and 20" wheels, your ride will definitely be affected. A nice set of Bilstein shocks will help the ride quality some, but they're a little pricey. My truck rides totally different when I have my Gibbs 20's on as opposed to my winter set up which consists of the factory 16" wheels and some Toyo Open Country AT's.

Refer to post #19 of this thread: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...0&page=1&pp=20
Old 12-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Mine was doing the same thing after I installed 20's. I installed a set of KYB Monomax shocks this weekend and problem solved. 100 percent improvement over the stock shocks. It rides a little stiffer, but a sport truck should IMO. The factory shocks were way too soft for a truck suspension even before I swapped out the 16's.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Teching In

yeah id have to say the 20s do completely SUCK! im swappin down to 18s, redoing my whole suspension and doing a brake upgrade and droppin my truck another couple of inces. ill vouch for 20s riding like crap. between bumps in the road and wheel hop from burnouts i hate em haha
Old 01-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Teching In

I'm currenlty looking at shocks off of summit and was wondering, if I instaled 1"-2" shackles later on, does it matter why type of shocks I have?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it will put the shock that much further into the shock case, might not be where it is desighned to be at, could, prolly make a differnce in ride..

JOHN
Old 01-04-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

too much weights on the tires when balance can cause you truck to feel bouncy or a hard spot on the tire it's self. I had this problem when i first got my wheels i paid 3k for the wheels so i was broke and got some wanli tire. and man did those things suck. It felt like my truck was vibrating and if i floored it talk about hopping. I put 3000 miles on them and sold them for the price i paid for them . now I have brigston dueler hp sports and they fell smoother and get way better traction. but also at 500 buck difference.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:27 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After a 2/4 drop with stock tires and rims my truck used to bouce so much when hitting overpasses on the freeway the tires punched holes through wheel wells. Upgraded to Nitro shocks and that didn't help at all. Lifted truck back up 2/2 and now have 20's and it doesn't bounce as bad but if I'm going fast enough will still rub the wheel well. From experience what's the best sport/stiff suspension set up for our trucks? Truck see's street only and needs to act like it's street only...I would love any suggestions!

Quick Reply: Truck bounces?