Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Truck starts in 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 04:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a good plan... not sure I would install the solenoids, but what the heck can't hurt right?

g
Old 11-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I got them so I might as well use them. Thanks
Old 11-02-2011, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
^^^ HAHA!!!! Hey Vinnie... don'tcha just hate to love and love to hate a good old mind bender! The "what if's" in a deal like this one can keep a guy up at nights. I've sooo been there and done that. I haven't had time to get the book out on this one.. but indeed the devil is in the details!
Dude every now and then I at look at the hydraulics and its obvious where the issue is. This **** is not rocket science you know! Then again I take for granted some of the **** that is in this bean of mine! These days I do not let transmissions or sales keep me up at night. Now which lake I'm going to fish this weekend is a different story! I'm sure the issue here will be found if not I know a few guys that can sort it out!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Vince B
Dude every now and then I at look at the hydraulics and its obvious where the issue is. This **** is not rocket science you know! Then again I take for granted some of the **** that is in this bean of mine! These days I do not let transmissions or sales keep me up at night. Now which lake I'm going to fish this weekend is a different story! I'm sure the issue here will be found if not I know a few guys that can sort it out!
Somehow or another I knew you'd work your way into a fishing story here!

I'm just waiting on the photo of you and the family all huddled up in 4 or 5 coats each and you telling them how much fun ya'll are having out on the lake this winter! LMAO!!!!!!

g
Old 11-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Alright guys I got it all pulled apart and went over everything and have a couple questions. The gold ball and green spring that goes in the 1-2 shift valve, are the spring and ball supposed to move back and forth in the valve with it all back together? And is the 2nd accumulator piston supposed to be pretty tight in the housing? With the spring in the housing I can grap to housing and push the piston with my fingers and it is pretty hard to compress? Other then that everything else looks good. Thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 07:17 PM

Yes the ball ans spring are suppose to float in the end of the valve. Make sure the ball is installed first and then the spring into the end of the valve. The 1-2 accumulator piston will be a little hard to compress in the housing with the spring below the piston. Did you remove the piston to see if the seal is damaged?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I pulled the piston out and checked over the seal very well and it was still perfect. I also installed a sonnax pinless forward accumulator, could this have anything to do with this problem? Everything else looks good. Thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

I also swaped out the shift solenoids just to be sure.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 PM

I do not think the issue is with the forward acc. How did the solenoid look that was in the bore for the 1-2 shift valve? Is the stem that goes into the bore tight to metal part of the solenoid? Also did you happen to pull the valve body to look at the gasket impressions? I would make sure that the two signal holes are not partially blocked by the gaskets for the solenoids. These will be two very small holes that feed actuator feed oil to the solenoids. If the one for the 1-2 shift valve is closed off this could be your issue. Just a thought. Vince
Old 11-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Staging Lane

Yes the shift valve sticks out of the bore a little so when I put the solenoid in it pushes the valve in then I clip the solenoid in. I'm going out after work to check the gasket, I'll keep yall updated. Thanks

Quick Reply: Truck starts in 2nd gear