Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Truck starts in 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen where the stem is loose to the solenoid itself and it leaks fluid pressure. Look at this before you go pulling the valve body down.

Last edited by Vince B; 11-04-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 PM

I know sometimes its hard to translate what is being said on the net so I took a pic for you today. Look here to see if the solenoid is loose.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just got it all back together and still nothing, I went over everything I did and then went over it again. I checked everything yall said to check and no change. If it put it in first it drives great, lots of power but in drive still starts in second. Im gonna take it to a buddy and have him hook it up to his scanner and see if the computer is comanding 1st gear.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

And I just checked for codes and it comes up b2961, I googled it and it comes up ignition circuit, no idea what that is. Any other advice?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:59 PM

There have been issues over the years with ignition switches and this could be an issue if the trans is not seeing 12V. I just went back and reread your original post. Does this trans ever shift on its own are you manually shifting the trans in order to get the different gears?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

The trans shifts fine in drive from 2-3-4, just won't start in 1st. If I put it in 1st and shift through the gears it goes through all of them just fine. Whats your next idea?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by probuilder1
Im gonna take it to a buddy and have him hook it up to his scanner and see if the computer is comanding 1st gear.
This is what I would do next. Also preforming a pressure test might not be a bad idea here to see what is happening pressure wise when this issue happens. I will get my head in the oil schematics when I get some time. Its possible that you have an issue in one of the valve bores in the valve body and the oil D4 oil is getting into the 2nd clutch circuit when it shouldn't.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:48 AM

Any updates? I was thinking about this thread at work yesterday and want you to do something for me. The next time you get a chance take the shifter and go to manual low while stopped. Then put the shifter back into the OD position and see if it still starts out in 2nd gear. Vince
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Hi Vince, haven't had a chance to take my truck to my buddy so I'm not sure about the computer but I just went out and did what you said and I drove in 1st gear came to a stop put it in OD and when I took off it was back in 2nd gear.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:28 AM

I would definitely like to see what gear is being commanded when this happens. When you installed your servo assembly did you have any issue getting the servo assembly installed? In theory there should not be any oil pressure at the servo pistons with the computer commanding first gear. However it is possible that this issue is not a hydraulic issue but a mechanical one. I'm curious if part of one of the Teflon sealing rings is keeping the band from returning. Basically binding up one of the servos. This might be something else for you to check. Vince

Quick Reply: Truck starts in 2nd gear