Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

truck is vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck is vibrating

Lately i have been having a problem that as soon as my truck hits 60 it start vibrating, i can feel the center console shaking pretty bad, and when i reach 70-75 the vibration stops, any one have any ideas, it is really getting me up set, my truck is dropped, i just removed the second leaf spring, so anyone have any idea i need some help. thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

how much of a drop? what are the components of the drop? did you get an alignment afterward? check the tires, they might be out of balance.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

If this started after you dropped it, then your pinion angle is way off.
It will need to be shimmed. They make kits to correct the pinion angle.
This usually causes your U-joints to bind up.
Try taking off from a dead stop with a little more than moderate acceleration.
Not too much too were you spin your tires though.
If you feel a shimmy, then it's definately the pinion angle.
Also, like said above, you need an alignment and recheck your balance on your tires/ wheels. Do this first.
Though, I doubt that is most of the problem. An alignment doesn't fix vibrations most of the time. That's not what the tire alignment really consists of fixing.
An alignment consists of three different adjustments: Caster (corrects a pull to the left or right), Toe (puts your tires more parallel with each other), and camber (places your tires at at or near a 90* angle to the road).
There's a few more things, but that's all you guys really need to know.

Jim
Old 03-01-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah any body else got the 40 20 40 center console shimmy? i know that pinion angle is perfect and i still got a viberation, tho it is bagged, it did it before bags too.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 03lowriderss
Yeah any body else got the 40 20 40 center console shimmy? i know that pinion angle is perfect and i still got a viberation, tho it is bagged, it did it before bags too.
You need to do the dead stop take-off like I said above.
How do you know the pinion angle is perfect?
Also, have you put aftermarket wheels on? If so, did you remove the rotor's retainer clips? There are usually one or two on each rotor. They are thin pieces of metal that are slipped over the wheel studs.

Jim
Old 03-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotate and balance. Had the same issue and it went away with a balance.If you have big tires (20"+) you might look for a place that does force balancing. Costs more but works better on the big rims.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Rotate and balance. Had the same issue and it went away with a balance.If you have big tires (20"+) you might look for a place that does force balancing. Costs more but works better on the big rims.
Or, Hub eccentric balancing hardware. It uses a flange that has fingers that act as the wheel studs on your truck. They go into the front of the wheel's wheel stud holes. A spring and cone goes behind the wheel.
It is then tightened down onto the balancer. Then it can be balnced. Works perfect.
Road force works great too, but it can cost you $20 bucks a wheel.

Jim
Old 03-02-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have like a total of 4-5 of drop in the back, where would i need to take so they can correct the angle? i noticed it vibrates more with the 20's than with the stockers, i have pretty worn out tires on the back so im getting new tires and and hopefully that will solve it. thanks guys
Old 03-03-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chev5.3
I have like a total of 4-5 of drop in the back, where would i need to take so they can correct the angle? i noticed it vibrates more with the 20's than with the stockers, i have pretty worn out tires on the back so im getting new tires and and hopefully that will solve it. thanks guys
I would take it to a shop that lowers vehicles. Even places like 4-Wheel Parts can do it. They install lifts and they also install drops.
Just ask some local shops about a kit to correct the rear axle pinion angle after your drop.
If it vibrates more after the 20" wheels. it could be balance and or a combination of a bad pinion angle and out of balanced tires.

Jim
Old 03-03-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting this comes up, just put some 1-3" drop shackles on an 06. They only dropped it about 2.2" but the customer later called back complaining about a slight vibration at 60mph.

Anyone have a chart of what shims to use for which particular drop?
What angle tolerances before you get into driveline vibration?

Quick Reply: truck is vibrating