Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

TruCool 40K question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you really need a bypass, I see that as one thing to fail....
Old 04-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW I bought mine from bulkpart, Ive bought half a dozen from them all the way back to 2004 and have never had a problem with shipping. I generally get the cooler within 4 days. May not be the absolute best price but Ill pay a little more for a smooth transaction and I honestly never looked around a bunch since I ordered a lot of the parts for my original trans build from there too.

When I lived in Northern Alabama I never had a problem getting the trans temps up in 15* weather and thats without the bypass.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by trever1t
I installed one a guys truck about 5 years ago and he hasnt had a any problems with it. Im not sure how many miles he has put on it but I wouldnt be too worried about the bypass. All it is, is basically a thermostat, not really any moving parts to fail.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:58 AM
13 Second Truck Club

When I talked to Andy at FLT, he HIGHLY recommended I run one with my setup. It can get down to negative temps here in NJ, and if the fluid is running through the cooler in those temps, it's on the "bad" side of the "good-bad-o-meter".

Billy, Tom, I got mine with the bypass from Oregon Perf. Trans. for $160 or so. I wasn't able to find it anywhere else for a better price.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes he has 2- 3 , 40K cooler for sale, and he has some for 110, 120 and 130 - i guess i got lucky on my purchased.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:09 PM

FLT ought to become a distributor for these big coolers and sell a line kit for them too.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:22 PM
11 Second Truck Club

here ya go bud... $147.95 shipped http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tru-C...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-18-2010, 01:19 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses guys...I had an old thread called "plumbing a trucool" a while back asking about the AN fittings, seems the only ones that you can't get are the ones that go into the cooler since they're inverted flare or something like that. I'd definitely like to go that route, but not all of the way back to the trans just yet. I like the black hose that I've seen from Russell I believe, maybe Earl's. Unfortunately that can get expensive, so the An fittings and lines may have to be a future upgrade for now, with just the standard hoses and clamps for the initial install.

I'm going to search for your thread though Cody, since I already have a PermaCool, I could always do the trucool and hoses a little later down the road, before winter, since the PermaCool doesn't have a bypass...

Gotta sell some more stuff...anybody want one used wife, decent cook, total b*$ch, cheap...come get her, shipping's free!
Old 04-18-2010, 01:28 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea Bill, unfortunately it's a must here in the northeast, or our transmissions may never see lock up on the single digit and sub zero days, as well as any other complications that may arise from running too cold a tranny temp

Does anybody have a pic of the thermal bypass? I thought that it was part of the cooler, didn't realize that it was external...curious what it looks like and how it works...if anyone knows and understands it's operation, please do tell
Old 04-18-2010, 03:06 PM

You can get the AN fitting the threads directly into the cooler. No problem, I believe I list those PNs in my thread.

Here is the external bypass
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=7

Basically has a thrermostat in it, you have an extra set of lines that totally bypass the cooler when the thermostat heats up enough it diverts the flow through the cooler. Alot of hoses going on in the front of the truck. There isnt a real need for the AN setup but it makes for a lot cleaner install and if/when you have to remove the trans its much easier. The other thing is I just dont trust barbed fittings and hose clamps when theyre holding that much pressure over time. The hose clamp inherently weakens the hose since the barb fitting is digging into the hose. I just dont trust them, but definitely something you can do later except for the fitting you have to screw into the side of the trans. That is going to be very difficult since you really have to put some pressure on the socket to drive it into the casing as you screw it in.

Id recommend keeping the trans cooler youve got now and spending the extra dough on the fittings for the trans and the lines. Just use the pushlock hose and clamps on the cooler side until you swap to the trucool then get the fittings that I used and have it all AN. FWIW I think I have about 120 bucks into my lines and all fittings needed and I used aeroquip fittings(cheap but good) and russel pushlock.

Quick Reply: TruCool 40K question