Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

TruCool 40K question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastnblu
So after tranny & stall, I still need some tidbits. This sound right?

1) Fluid
2) Tru-Cool 40K Cooler $110-160
3) AN Setup optional $120

4)Tranny temp gauge. I'll be running Autometer Cobalt, so either mech. or electric? est. $50-200. The Autometer manifold if I plumb gauge thru pan like on my last truck. est. $35, if I go this route.

or 4B) Get a different cluster w/. trans temp. $150-300.

and the programming for mileage if I go that route. Ya gotta program for options too, right? est. $50-100

This ancillary stuff adds up fast.

So, I talked to a friend & I said 4 HRS to swap out trannies. He said 8 Hrs. I'll be doin on my back BTW.

How long to plumb TruCool?
What about if I do AN route?
Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I can do the swap in 3 hours busting my *** but Ive done it a few more times than Id care to count. Id think someone doing it for the first time is in for twice that time. ...
So if u say 3 HRS, 2x that for a 1st timer, I'll figure 4 1/2 hrs. Add maybe 30min -1 hr for any lil snafus.

But, IDK if u were adding in time to plumb TruCool?
I have factory tranny cooler BTW. So that should help things go smoother.

Scratch #2 off list, Just picked 1 up.
Fluid is a necessity, so as I get closer, I can get that easily.
#3, 4 or 4B are optional & can be added anytime. I'd love to add a gauge whichever way (4 or 4B) I go, but $ being tight at this time, may put it on hold for a few months. Mainly to see how much the TruCool drops. I'm just like that, I like to verify.

Originally Posted by xsports33
i got mine from bulkpart as well... for the piping, i just used some rubber hose and hose clamps. It's behind my CTS-V HE so you can't see it anway. I'm not too worried about asthetics.
Got pics? AS in how it fits in relation to your HE? Or for guys w/. that, did they run a smaller TruCool? xsports, did u use the 40K too?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i responded back to your PM as well...

I don't have any pics right now because i'm not in the area and won't be for a few months. I DO have the 40K and it sits in the stock transmission cooler location, but mounted upside down so the inlet/outlet are on the top instead of the bottom. I used the rubber hosing that came with the kit and the hose clamps to connect to the stock metal fittings coming from the transmission. The rubber hosing goes from the cooler, up, over and behind it, then down (in front of the ac condenser) and into the metal lines. I mounted it upside down because right side up there wasn't enough clearance to use the rubber hosing and clamp into the stock metal lines. I've had no issues with flow or cooling. Now, all of this is tucked behind the CTS-V HE. there's probably 1/4-1/2" of clearance between the 40K cooler and the HE.

You can't see any of it from the front because the CTS-V HE is huge and takes up most of the scenery behind the grill. I also painted the HE black so it's incognito behind the grill.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
You need a special allen wrench to pull the bolt out that holds the fork in the tcase. Dont forget that, Ive got one if you cant source it locally Ill send it up to ya.
Picked up the 12mm allen socket from SnapOn this week, didn't even look at what it cost but I'm sure that it wasn't cheap, thanks for the offer though Cody And thanks for the tip...I wouldn't have known until I went to pull it apart and realized that my set of allen sockets only goes to 10mm...then I would have been driving around trying to find a 12mm allen socket and going nuts That was definitely helpful
Old 04-24-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Billy, did you ever buy the cooler?

I bought one from dieselsite dot com. You can get it with ($143) or without ($120) the t-stat
Old 04-24-2010, 10:52 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yep, just ordered it the other day from the same ebay guy that Tom got his from (rhinoracing)...I payed $125 shipped for the cooler without the thermal bypass...close to the prices you found. Thanks for the info though
Old 04-24-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SnakeOiler, I almost bought from dieselsite. If I didn't find it at last minute on Ebay, I would have.

It's weird, when I did a search for TruCool, dieselsite pops up. I wonder if they own TruCool / Long?
Old 06-29-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just ordered my tru cool 40k. thanks to this thread. Can't wait to get it in.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by pasadenaman
I just ordered my tru cool 40k. thanks to this thread. Can't wait to get it in.
Cool deal, I'm very happy with mine
Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went ahead and ordered a digital temp guage and dual pilar pod. my newly built 60e over heated due to a sticking valve.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

OK guys not trying to dig up an old thread or even beat a dead horse here.......but a few quick questions. And before you link me to all of the other threads, I can assure I read all of them first

Well first off I have a 04 Colorado that has a factory cooler in the raditor, which I intend on retaining, so I'm going to run an external in series with it!

I live in Maryland and do not intend on using this as my DD this winter forward. So do you in your experiance think I need to run the bypass? Will be stored in a heated garage.

I have also bought everything to run a trans temp gauge and a Flex a Lite 180 (3300 CFM should be an overkill for my 3.5 I5 until the LS6 goes in)

I'm fully tuned with HPTuners to include the trans(4L60E).

Any and all advice will be appreciated!

Quick Reply: TruCool 40K question