Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Trucool cold weather question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trucool cold weather question

Anyone running the thermal bypass?? Being in the northeast and seeing below zero temps. I thought I would want to run it, but after doing some research on it I have found that the thermal bypass does not "fully" open until around 180*..so my understanding is that the majority of the time it will not be flowing to capacity unless I am at those higher temps. not sure I am comfortable with that...thoughts?
Being that I have the factory aux. cooler my lines first go thru the radiator cooler then to the aux. I would be set-up the same way with the Trucool, would running thru the radiator cooler first be enough to warm up the trans. fluid in the colder months??
Old 06-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Launching!

it will be fine if youre running it thru your radiator first, i personally wouldnt use the bypass
Old 06-24-2010, 10:44 AM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always make a cover for it out of sheet metal..
Old 06-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Launching!

I kinda figured I'd be okay running thru the radiator first, but wanted to get some firsthand experience if possible. I typically warm the truck up for 10-15min. or so.

andrew383..not sure what making a shield for it would do?? run hotter in the winter?? similar to how blocking the radiator makes it hotter? I want the fluid warm prior to hitting the aux. cooler.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was thinking about this too. cool you asked because i know this past winter when we had some really cold days my trans wouldnt get over 75 with the stock little guy. 180 for the crossover is really high though and i rather not be up there all the time
Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Launching!

anyone else before I pull the trigger on one.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:03 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had considered the cold weather bypass, but decided against it for a few reasons...first, it wouldn't work out with the hard line setup that I'm using. Also, my truck won't be getting as much winter use as it used to, and finally, it doesn't fully open until 180*, and from what I had read at the time (and now know from personal experience), trans's with these TruCool 40K's seem to run about 150-160* (which is exactly where mine runs), so I don't see how the bypass would ever be fully opened, or would end up cycling open to closed constantly.

*EDIT*, before you go and buy one, send fastnblu (Tom) a PM...he bought one and didn't use it, he might want to sell it if he hasn't already
Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. you had the same thoughts on the bypass as I did..if I am going to be running at 140-150 I want no restrictions(full flow) I'm going to just run without the bypass and just monitor my trans. temp. Just cruising in 90* heat I'm pushing a max of 170-175 I'm more worried about it when towing.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

8.1 HD, do you have an intercooler with your Whipple? The reason I ask is if you do have an heat exchanger mounted behind the grille and in front of the TruCool, as many of us do with a Magnacharger, I believe you will be perfectly fine. It will block enough air from the transmission cooler to make everything work out just about right, or at least it seems to on mine. My trans temps seem to run just about at what I recall them being at when it was completely stock, even with the converter and everything else.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have mine so the fluid goes into the radiator, then the thermal bypass, then to the cooler. I was sitting in NYC traffic the other day when the ambient temp was at least 90 and the hottest I got it was 175*. Once I got moving and the converter locked up, it stayed just below 150*. Then the sun set and it was about 140*.

The hottest Ive ever gotten it is 180*. That was playing around brake stalling it, and showing my buddy the converter, then having him drive it and do the same. Why not install it, and if it doesnt work out for you just remove it?

Quick Reply: Trucool cold weather question