Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Trutrac driveway install questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took a punt and used the same shims. Worked out spot on. (yes I used a dial indicator and the paste to check everything).
Hang on...yours has the shims 'under' the bearings?
Mine were on the outside.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the shims go on the outside then I am set. I thought they went on the inside after reading some how to articles showing how to make set-up bearings so you don't have to press them on and off to check tolerances. Thanks Howard.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Did you buy new ring gear bolts when you installed yours?
Old 03-16-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
Did you buy new ring gear bolts when you installed yours?
First off, new bearings come with an install kit but theres no need to get an install kit unless you're installing a new ring and pinion. I would check out the truetrac website and see what bearings it calls for...Get those pressed on at a local shop. It costed me $10 to have both carrier bearings pressed on. I ordered a pack of shims and ring gear paste from summit. I bought a cheap dial indicator from harbor freight as well. I swapped my rear end and luckily, the backlash was perfect with the factory shims. Also, i didnt use new ring gear bolts. Just remember, those bolts are threaded in reverse direction. Right=loosen. It's not hard! Goodluck.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

hmm, my dad was telling me I need a case spreader to do my gears, so that u can push the case apart a little bit pull the gears and just slide em back in and ur angles and lash's should be just right. Is it different just doing a trutrac?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
hmm, my dad was telling me I need a case spreader to do my gears, so that u can push the case apart a little bit pull the gears and just slide em back in and ur angles and lash's should be just right. Is it different just doing a trutrac?
case spreaders are nice but they aren't necessary.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought new ring and pinion because mine lost teeth in the destruction of the G80. The R & P came with new bolts as well as the crush spacer. A good tip with this was to use a press and crush the spacer maybe 1mm (just until it starts to move/crush (you can tell by the stress line that appears around it). Under the car you'll need a piece of pipe maybe 3ft long on the end of the pinion nut to crush it as you do it up. You need to pull it up gently and keep checking the backlash as you go. If you crush it too much...you'll have to start again.

I built a spreader also...but didn't end up needing it.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xlcooplx
First off, new bearings come with an install kit but theres no need to get an install kit unless you're installing a new ring and pinion. I would check out the truetrac website and see what bearings it calls for...Get those pressed on at a local shop. It costed me $10 to have both carrier bearings pressed on. I ordered a pack of shims and ring gear paste from summit. I bought a cheap dial indicator from harbor freight as well. I swapped my rear end and luckily, the backlash was perfect with the factory shims. Also, i didnt use new ring gear bolts. Just remember, those bolts are threaded in reverse direction. Right=loosen. It's not hard! Goodluck.
Thanks for the tips! I have a dial indicator and some marking compound. Just need the shims and maybe ring gear bolts. Are they 3/8" or 7/16"? Anyone know the length?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, that case spreader is sweet. Why didn't you not need to use it?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm..sorry can't remember. Pretty sure they're a LH thread though.
EDIT: didn't need to spread the case. I was able to tap the shims into place with the diff at the same time.

Quick Reply: Trutrac driveway install questions