Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

trying different suspension combos... ECSB

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default trying different suspension combos... ECSB

Well I've had several different rear suspensions under my truck, none of which have worked like I had hoped.

First was stock with shackles/hangers, stock shocks. no go LOL

next, shackles/hangers, removed overloads.. even worse bottoming out, wheel hop like a ****...

built long bars, same setup as before. Cured the hop, still bottomed out and unloaded at the track.

Well today, I was under the truck and noticed that both of my front long bar mounts have almost ripped completely off the frame!!!!! I planned on rebuilding them eventually, but I guess itll happen sooner than I thought. LOL...

I installed an S-10 overload spring, maybe this would cure the bottoming out and firm it up some, maybe just enough. Gonna drive it tonight and report back, I've considered going to stock shackles again if need be.

Just trying different things. To date I've never gotten it to 60' better than the high 1.9's on 28x10 Hoosiers on 16x10 wheels.... it should be way better.

I'm sure I'll need to put some type of bar back on it, but this time I'm considering building a cal-trac type setup instead of the long bars... they just werent working like I hoped they would.

any input?? ideas?? Whats worked for you ECSB guys???
Old 10-20-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im goin to try the Caltrac Style Setup soon, cutting the long bars off saturday

Stews truck leaves on out with caltracs.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

must be a e/c thing, im shackles with no overload, and never experienced any wheel hop yet, (knock on wood) even with the 275-60 mickey's
Old 10-20-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

ditch all of the longbar stuff, put your silverado overload back on and clamp it. it should keep you from bottoming out and cure wheel hop.

set your pinion angle to -3 to -5 and put an adjustable shock on a pretty stiff setting. i cut 1.69 60' times on that setup with a 2800 to 3,000 converter
Old 10-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Well so far after driving it last night, the S-10 overloads are just about what I was looking for. raised it up enough to keep it from bottoming out and it rides SSOOOO much better. My pinion angle is at -3 right now. that doesnt seem to be the problem. The long bars are gone as of now. My shocks probably leave alot on the table.... theyre stock length shocks (I'm dropped a good bit) but theyre pretty stiff Monroe's.... might have to bite the bullet for some adjustables. and I'd like to try the cal-trac build and do my own stuff with it specifically for my truck.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much drop do you how?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

I'm dropped 5" in the rear... I refuse to notch the truck's frame, there's other ways to go about it... like getting it to hook correctly with anti-squat... I did raise it up maybe 3/4" with the overloads, but its barely noticeable unless youre me... most people wouldnt know any better.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

I think im gonna notch mine, im sick of the way it rides. And hopeing I can get it too hook up one day.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

I'm going to clamp these springs and go to the track and see....

I still havent left off the transbrake yet, just got it wired up, dont know how its going to act. It feels like your winding up the biggest spring ever, and when it lets go, something bad's gonna happen LOL...
Old 10-22-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
It feels like your winding up the biggest spring ever, and when it lets go, something bad's gonna happen LOL...
That's funny... Gotta say tho, I use old style traction (slapper)bars w/ no gap, 4" drop leaf springs and poly bump stops w/ 9 way adj shocks and I get no hop, w/ a slight bottom out on speed bumps! and my last 60' was somewhere in the 1.7 range. same shocks Blue Cajun was running...

Quick Reply: trying different suspension combos... ECSB