Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

trying different suspension combos... ECSB

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
but as the suspension cycles there is no shackle to pivot off of so the axle is pulled forward when I hit a dip.
You're not running a shackle? The suspension shouldn't bind with a long bar/leaf setup if you have a shackle.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
You're not running a shackle? The suspension shouldn't bind with a long bar/leaf setup if you have a shackle.
The long bars don't have a shackle on them is What I meant. There are heims on both sides with mounts on the axle and the frame. There is no binding right now, just some groans and grunts that I hadn't heard until I hand tightened the bars last night.

I looked at it like a triangle, in that when the suspension travels, the long bar doesn't have a way of extending itself. Even though I only have about 4" of travel that means the bars need another ~.2" of play and I don't see where that is coming from. Does that make sense at all?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a 3-link setup would work quite well for our trucks. A 4-link would work too for those that want to move the tank. There's a 3" OD-1/16" thick cross member about 18" in front of the axle center line. It'd be a good spot to locate upper links. I think relocating the tank behind the axle would be a worth quite a bit too, since it would move a considerable amount of weight rearward.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

So I went and bought an angle finder today and realized my angles really aren't that horrible.

Keep in mine my rear tires were on ramps so the angles may seem a bit screwy.

These are in relation to the ground

Transmission angle-180*
Front driveshaft angle-180-181*
Rear driveshaft angle-179(angling down from back to front)
Pinion angle-178(angling down from back to front)

Hopefully that makes sense. I also tightened the hell out of my long bars, but I'm worried if what the consequences of that might be for a daily driver. I don't want there to be no articulation in the rear suspension and rip off a mount.

I also picked up some v6/m5 front coil springs. I've heard they should help with weight transfer so we shall see.
any way to get your pinion angle while the truck is sitting on a level surface...prefably with someone that weighs about as much as you sitting in the drivers seat???

pinion angle is in relation to the ground...atleast thats the way i do it. i have some custom stainless 7* shims if your interested. big bitches lol. i doubt you need that much, but i did lol.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
any way to get your pinion angle while the truck is sitting on a level surface...prefably with someone that weighs about as much as you sitting in the drivers seat???

pinion angle is in relation to the ground...atleast thats the way i do it. i have some custom stainless 7* shims if your interested. big bitches lol. i doubt you need that much, but i did lol.
My truck is too low as is. I can fit underneath it to measure the pinion angle, but I can't even get an accurate enough reading to read the rear driveshaft angle.

PM me about the shims. I'm a little low on funds but right now I have a -1* difference between the pinion and driveshaft with a 4* shim. I figure I ought to be around 3-4* so a 7* shim might work.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:59 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a -1* difference between the pinion and driveshaft with a 4* shim. I figure I ought to be around 3-4* so a 7* shim might work.
Yep!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

My truck is too low as is. I can fit underneath it to measure the pinion angle, but I can't even get an accurate enough reading to read the rear driveshaft angle.

PM me about the shims. I'm a little low on funds but right now I have a -1* difference between the pinion and driveshaft with a 4* shim. I figure I ought to be around 3-4* so a 7* shim might work.
dont worry about your driveshaft angle at this point. just get the pinion angle with the suspension loaded as you would drive it on the street. then you adjust the carrier bearing from there...you did install the adjustable carrier bearing kit with your drop right??? if not, thats your vibration.

the rear of my truck is dropped 6" just make sure that the yoke that is clamped inside of the rear pinion for the driveshaft is level, stick a socket on top of the yoke and measure from there.

like this

Last edited by TXsilverado; 11-05-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump.....interested in this suspenstion stuff!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WOW, this is good stuff. how did i miss this 3 months ago?