Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

trying different suspension combos... ECSB

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midnight_bowtie
I need to start researching all of this suspension talk. My head feels like its about to go Especially after reading this...
Stop already, so I abbreviate a little.

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Not on the Double Adjustable QA1, they're independent *****.
Takes longer to get on ground than to twist a few *****.

xrevx1, the Single Adj. simultaneously do R & C; provides 12 adjustments, IIRC. Double adjustable allows 576 combinations, plenty of possibilities to confuse a guy. Each **** has a (+) or (-) & is marked R or C. 24 settings ea. ****.
I'll help ya out.
It takes longer to crawl onto ground than make the adjustments.

Xrevx1 was who asked about QA1's.

Next, the single adjustable have 1 **** with 12 clicks. That **** does both rebound (R) & compression (C) at same time. Soo, 12 adjustments are all you got.

The double adjustable has 2 ***** on each shock. Each is independent of the other for either rebound (R) or compression (C). They're marked as (+) or (-). Each **** has 24 clicks. 24 x 24 = 576, as in that's how many possible combinations a person could come up with.

But in operation, you're not using 576 just 1 combo each time. Set each **** from 0-24. It just offers way more to toy around with.

Drive whatever combo you want on the street; change at track as needed.

Better?
Now let me go back to my shorthand. It doesn't take as long for me to type. Plus, I think maybe you could have figured it out. :
Old 10-23-2009, 05:31 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCountryx
Stock springs, stock shocks, and stock hangers. I have belltech shackles, clamped the front of my factory overloads and cut 1.78 60' on 275/55/16 M&H drag radials with no wheel hop at all. I'm planning to add more power and see how far this setup will take me before I start changing suspension.
Requesting a pic of your clamped spring setup. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

AKlow, pics are $2 in continental U.S.
$4 in Alaska & Hawaii.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:52 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
AKlow, pics are $2 in continental U.S.
$4 in Alaska & Hawaii.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I think cal-tracs are a great product. However I think the IC they provide for EC trucks creates too much anti-squat. They'll hook initially, and then unload. Or they'll lift the rear so much, that it'll never allow weight to transfer. The proper anti-squat value is key, unfortunately its a funtion of wheelbase. Our wheelbase is the longest that I have yet to see anybody with 2wd try to get to hook up. Longer than wagons, and longer than ANY regular cab.

Silver, I think you should start with a cal-trac type setup, coupled with double adjustable shocks front and rear. Then get the lightest front spring possible that will comfortably support the weight of the truck. I think they need to be lighter than what your average nose heavy BB blown drag car uses. The lighter the better, because it will help store more energy. If that doesn't work, fab a torque arm or ladder bar setup to move the IC further foward.

That's what I'm planning to do and I hope it works. Our turbo trucks have all the torque we need, and from what I understand, high torque vehicles like long IC's. Couple that with our long wheelbase, and we probably need an IC that's up near the front of the truck, but at or above the 100% anti-squat line. This is something that neither ladder bars, torque arm or cal-tracs can provide. A 3-link or 4-link could though, but then you're talking major fab work. If we can get the front to rise with cal-tracs then I think we'll be pretty satisfied.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

any drawings of where you think the IC is on our trucks?

i put a flip kit on and moved the IC forward with the cal-tracs. the bars sit perfectly level now.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

And who makes these dual adjustable shocks?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
any drawings of where you think the IC is on our trucks?

i put a flip kit on and moved the IC forward with the cal-tracs. the bars sit perfectly level now.
I can tell you exactly where the IC is on our trucks. If you don't have cal-tracs, then it's the front leaf spring eye. If you have cal-tracs then the IC is imaginary point where the cal-trac bar and the line formed by the front and rear leaf mount meet. Basically the point at which the rear rotates about if the shack/rear leaf section weren't there. Now you can see why the long wheelbase creates huge anti-squat values. Our leafs arent any longer than a RC's yet the truck is a lot longer.

I've personally never seen cal-tracs with a flip kit on an EC truck. If the lower bar is level, then your IC is probably infinite or VERY far foward. If the two lines never cross, then there is no IC (infinite) and the rear end will probably squat real hard. If they do meet, but it still very far foward, then I think we're on to something, and thats why you get the 60fts you do.

Do you have any pics? Or can you get a few measurements for me? I'm wondering if cal-tracs should or could be modified to compensate for the added length of our trucks.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
I can tell you exactly where the IC is on our trucks. If you don't have cal-tracs, then it's the front leaf spring eye. If you have cal-tracs then the IC is imaginary point where the cal-trac bar and the line formed by the front and rear leaf mount meet. Basically the point at which the rear rotates about if the shack/rear leaf section weren't there. Now you can see why the long wheelbase creates huge anti-squat values. Our leafs arent any longer than a RC's yet the truck is a lot longer.

I've personally never seen cal-tracs with a flip kit on an EC truck. If the lower bar is level, then your IC is probably infinite or VERY far foward. If the two lines never cross, then there is no IC (infinite) and the rear end will probably squat real hard. If they do meet, but it still very far foward, then I think we're on to something, and thats why you get the 60fts you do.

Do you have any pics? Or can you get a few measurements for me? I'm wondering if cal-tracs should or could be modified to compensate for the added length of our trucks.
i thought it would have to come from the bottom of the tire to the bolt in the caltrack setup, and then meet another line. i wont lie. i dont know much at all about IC and all that but ive done some light reading on it.

i would love to sit with someone who knows their **** with my extended cab truck and figure out the "perfect" setup for an extended cab on paper while keeping the leaf spring setup.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I was hoping you'd be in here sooner or later 'nilla... I'd really like to do the same Stew, Theres a few local suspension gurus that I know but can never catch up with them. I'd really like to keep my leafs as well, I think thats where the street/race truck line gets blurred. mine's definitely a street truck... with a transbrake

and for all you guys who've PM'd me, I'm working on a response for all of you

Quick Reply: trying different suspension combos... ECSB