Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

trying different suspension combos... ECSB

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope yall find something but i think the EC guys are going to have to bite the bullet with a 4link if they want maximum traction!..

silvermodo- you know my setup, 2/4 drop, on stock shocks, and only have the passenger side clamped to help out with the chevy lean..... dont know what it is but it cuts good 60's for the mods... 1.68 60'

if you could get my 60' and if i could get your weight of your truck... we both be deep into the 11's!!!lol...
Old 10-28-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i thought it would have to come from the bottom of the tire to the bolt in the caltrack setup, and then meet another line. i wont lie. i dont know much at all about IC and all that but ive done some light reading on it.
I have some images at work that I've drawn to scale in ProE of the 143.5" wheelbase and our leafsprings. I don't have access to photobucket at work though, so I'll see if I can just attach them I'm kind of at a loss for where our CG is though. I've been told a car's CG is around 22-24" off the ground or at roughly the camshaft height and near the shifter. My truck has a 2/4 drop, so I put the CG at 28" high and near my shifter. :/

Taken from Dave Morgan' book:
Instant Center- An imaginary point, determined as the center of a radius made by a moving suspension component, that is a point of lift.

This is true for a 4-link/cal-trac setup. But for a ladder bar or leaf spring, it's not a imaginary point at all. Its the front pivot.

As for the lift he talks about...it's easiest to visualize with a ladder bar. Its fixed at the axle in two spots. So as the axle rotates upward from torque, so does ladder bar. In turn, provided the bars are stiff, it will push the chassis upward (lift) at the instant center (front pivot). The same is true for a 4-link/cal-trac, except the point the lift occurs is not a mounting point but an imaginary point, or the point where the two links intersect when viewed from the side.

Where this point lies determines the % anti-squat in relation to the CG height. Also where it occurs in relation to the CG horizontally has an effect too, but I have yet to have any experience or find any concrete proof of the effects.

My guess is if we position the IC slightly above the neutral line (above 100% AS) yet in front of the CG (about 90-something inches in front of the rear axle), then...the point of lift (IC) will plant the tires, which trucks need, and the point of lift will be in front of the CG thus allowing the front to rise and transfer weight. That's just my theory and I think its possible to do with cal-tracs. Its probably possible with a long *** 4ft ladder bar and light front springs too.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I was hoping you'd be in here sooner or later 'nilla... I'd really like to do the same Stew, Theres a few local suspension gurus that I know but can never catch up with them. I'd really like to keep my leafs as well, I think thats where the street/race truck line gets blurred. mine's definitely a street truck... with a transbrake

and for all you guys who've PM'd me, I'm working on a response for all of you
just drive up to LA and drop your truck off with madman for a few days. it should come back hooking on street tires lol
Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 AM

i found this and photobucketed it a LONG time ago. hopefully it helps someone. this is why i dont really think the traction bars people are building help much with traction, but will eliminate wheel hop.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm thinking about a ladderbar setup with the leafs... I want this thing to hook like it should with leaf springs.... problem is, theyre going to have to tie in to the frame under the driver seat

I'd rather not change my front coils unless I absolutely have to, the truck sits and rides exactly how I want up front.

if it would ever stop raining, I plan on going back to the track with my newest variation. Stock V6 leafs (clamped), S10 overloads, no long bars, the new converter and try leaving off the footbrake and transbrake both to see the difference, the transbrake is going to be violent.... I see more broken **** in my future
Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

for all the PM's, I figured it would benefit all of us ECSB guys, and probably everyone in general if I just post my weight reduction mods here. So here goes...

Keep in mind this was my weight with the 5.3/65E/nitrous setup... havent weighed since the turbo kit and 80E swap. I weighed on two different certified scales and both were within 10# of each other, that could be the difference in fuel. I was 3910 without me (225 at the time) when I weighed my truck for my PCS move getting out of the Marine Corps coming back to Texas also keep in mind my truck is loaded, power everything.... just not leather.

I removed:

front pass seat
rear seat
tailgate
bumper (plastic roll pan)
spare
spare winch
jack & tools
center console
glovebox contents
weighed with about 1/16th tank of fuel
removed nitrous bottle
power mirrors (replaced with manual sport mirrors)
stock 16" Tahoe wheels with 255/55 General UHP's, now I have Tahoe 17's with 275/60 Falkens

I still had the front sway bar and hidden hitch under the truck, which I figure was goo for another 100# give or take. I really dont know why my truck is as light as it is, maybe it was built on a Tuesday?? LOL... I figure with the addition of the turbo kit and 80E I'd be around 4100ish race weight if I removed the same stuff. I plan on taking the sway bar and hitch out of the truck, and adding a rear bumper back. Those may cancel each other out.

Last edited by silver-mod-o; 10-29-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 AM

they must have forgot to include alot of parts and nuts/bolts on your truck.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

LOL, maybe so. everything I've seen under it shows no signs of missing parts

I need to re-weigh at street weight with the new setup and see, then strip it down and re-weigh again.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:54 AM

does the console weigh a lot? ive never messed with mine. how hard is it to remove? i have AC plummed through my console for the back seat.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

its worth maybe 15-20# its not hard to get out once the seats are out. Ive got the same console you do, the a/c ducts are just a slip fit with foam seals around them.

Quick Reply: trying different suspension combos... ECSB