Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

trying different suspension combos... ECSB

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

on the triangular shaped plate, theres three holes. one that goes through the front leaf spring eye bushing, one that the lower bar attaches to, and the other thats on top of the leaf itself and contacts the leaf surface when power is applied... thats some sort of roller right??? I've seen the design and seen a few sets in person but honestly never gotten down and looked at every component. I understand the concept though.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:45 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
thats some sort of roller right???
It's not a roller. It's just round-stock and smooth. Theirs is hollow, and has grooves cut in for outside snap rings. It fits tight in the bracket and does not roll. Snap rings seem to be there just so it cannot fall out.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

I see... makes sense... why not a bolt with a roll pin around it... just for my own fabrication purposes....
Old 11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been watching this thread like a hawk. My suspension seems to transfer weight fantastic. I can grab traction with a 150 shot and a 245 street tire from as little as 25 mph.

My problem is a horrible vibration at 5-10 mph that I cannot get to go away. I'm shimmed, have the carrier bearing relocator installed and still cannot get rid of it.

My suspension setup is spindles, 2" drop springs(fixing to go to stock v6 springs for even better weight transfer).

The rear suspension is a flip kit with notch, 41"(eye to eye) long bars, 4* shims and the relocator like said.

I'm thinking of moving up to a 6* shim and working with the carrier bearing relocator some more to see if I can't resolve my vibration issue.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:18 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I see... makes sense... why not a bolt with a roll pin around it... just for my own fabrication purposes....
That would probably work just fine. No threads digging into your leaf spring.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by RandomHero
My problem is a horrible vibration at 5-10 mph that I cannot get to go away.
Have you measured your pinion angle?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

I've been watching this thread like a hawk. My suspension seems to transfer weight fantastic. I can grab traction with a 150 shot and a 245 street tire from as little as 25 mph.

My problem is a horrible vibration at 5-10 mph that I cannot get to go away. I'm shimmed, have the carrier bearing relocator installed and still cannot get rid of it.

My suspension setup is spindles, 2" drop springs(fixing to go to stock v6 springs for even better weight transfer).

The rear suspension is a flip kit with notch, 41"(eye to eye) long bars, 4* shims and the relocator like said.

I'm thinking of moving up to a 6* shim and working with the carrier bearing relocator some more to see if I can't resolve my vibration issue.
whats your pinion angle at right now? and what angles on the front half and back half of your drive shaft?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

you need to get an angle finder under there STAT! LOL, your angle is probably a hair too shallow.

AK and TX, care to pull a wheel and take a good side view pic of your cal-tracs?? I'd like to see the difference in the angles and drops, both are 5" drops but accomplished different ways.

and FWIW, this is probably one of the most useful and informative threads I've read and been a part of in a good while. keep the info rolling fellas
Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

mine is a 6" drop but the reason the bar levels out is because instead of the axle being under the springs, its on top. it raises everything up about 6" on the back side and the front side stays put. ill get a picture but it wont be any time soon. im in dallas working right now, and my truck hasnt been seen in 2 weeks now.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:54 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
mine is a 6" drop but the reason the bar levels out is because instead of the axle being under the springs, its on top. it raises everything up about 6" on the back side and the front side stays put. ill get a picture but it wont be any time soon. im in dallas working right now, and my truck hasnt been seen in 2 weeks now.
good to know. i'm about to do the flip kit.

Quick Reply: trying different suspension combos... ECSB