Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Turning radious sucks and front end bounces every where.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
I don't agree with this. The bar must still flex the exact same amount to hold the weight of the truck.
Nobody cares if you don't agree.

Your explanation make zero sence at all, research some more.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
I don't agree with this. The bar must still flex the exact same amount to hold the weight of the truck. Often when you lower a vehicle, truck or car, the shocks aren't great and in this case if you go low enough the geometry gets so far off from stock your caster(among other less problematic adjustments) becomes an issue. An alignment should help your current condition. If you have had an alignment then spindles are your only help.

I am assuming the "bouncing" he is talking about is the two tires fighting one another in a turn. They don't follow similar enough paths so they fight and one has to skip to unbind. Think of it similar to a spooled rear turning a corner.

If you are talking about bouncing down the road you need to replace your shocks. Simple as that. The different orientation of the T-bar has no effect on bouncing because it is simply a spring, it has no dampening. That job falls entirely on the shock.

Ill be getting new front shocks as well when i get these spindles. so we will see what happens.. Thanks again guys
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know how it turns out Zeke !

I lost turning radious when I installed my McG's spindles, some say you can grind the back of them to help, I haven't checked into that yet.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
Nobody cares if you don't agree.

Your explanation make zero sense at all, research some more.
A spring is a spring. The T-Bar has 100 lbs of spring rate per 90* of turn lets say. So regardless if that 90* is from 12 to 3 or 11-2 the T-bar rotates the same to carry the load. The load doesn't change because the vehicle is at a different height. That is like saying a leaf spring is going to ride differently if you install hangers and shackles.

A spring also doesn't have any dampening at all. 0% so regardless of the orientation or the spring rate it is 100% out of the equation when it comes to a bouncy ride. That is what a shock is installed for.

I have no idea who came up with the moronic concept that because you change the orientation of the T-bar, it will effect it's spring rate. It still has to carry they same load, and you aren't changing the amount of leverage it has on the a-arm because all of the mounting locations stay the same. It really isn't a hard concept to understand!

Maybe if you have adjustable coil overs and you adjust your spring up or down it has the same effect!?!? Nope spring rate and ride are identical, only thing that changes is ride height!

Lastly if you want to question my explanation of how the alignment could be his issue of it bouncing I will let you do some research on that because it is fairly complicate to explain. Like I said the most simple explanation is that front tires need to follow in a very similar path, and when you take the geometry so far off from stock they bind and fight each other thus you will "bounce" around a corner as the tires skip to unbind.

P.S. I have been doing suspension "research" for plenty of years and while not an expert clearly understand it much better then many around here. Worked in car shops and with alignments for plenty of years. It is amazing how complex an alignment can become if you really start breaking it down.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all the info. Ill let u kno how she turns out.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

Little update got everthing installed. Rides like a dream now compared to before. Only problem im having now is my dust covers are hitting the rotors. i have to get it aligned to see if my turning radius is better. Name:  2012-11-14_16-32-30_228.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  157.0 KB

Last edited by Zeke2007; 11-19-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Let us know how it turns out Zeke !

I lost turning radious when I installed my McG's spindles, some say you can grind the back of them to help, I haven't checked into that yet.

This is a fact. Down near the bottom of the spindle. If you turn the wheels to full stop in each direction, you will see where to grind. Not hard and great results.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Launching!

^^ Agreed, drop spindles will decrease the turning radius. I noticed this the first time I backed out of the garage. But hey, gotta pay if you wanna play.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeke2007
Little update got everthing installed. Rides like a dream now compared to before. Only problem im having now is my dust covers are hitting the rotors. i have to get it aligned to see if my turning radius is better.
Good to hear you are happy with it. Post up some pics man.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SGP93GSX
This is a fact. Down near the bottom of the spindle. If you turn the wheels to full stop in each direction, you will see where to grind. Not hard and great results.
Yeah your 100% correct , I had the truck up on my lift and turned the wheels lock to lock and saw where the contact was made between the spindles and the LCA , I ground about 1/8 -3/16 " off and that really helped the turning radius a lot .

Also I run my keys fully dropped . My ride is awesome even with worn out shocks , put on some new rancho 's I got cheap and I will see if they improve it any , if not I will get bilsteins .

Yeah Zeake let's see some pics when your done !

And custm2500 , your wrong on how cranking / decranking the bars affects ride .
I've had 4 IFS trucks with modded suspension , 3 with lift kits and one lowered.
EVERY time I adjusted the bars up or down it damn sure did effect the ride . If I have the bars decranked on my dmax it's very bouncy up front no matter which shocks I ran, And if you cranked them up for more lift it rode stiff as a board . Had nothing to do with shocks .

Quick Reply: Turning radious sucks and front end bounces every where.