Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Turning radius Sucks with Mcgaughys spindle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport Side
Turning radius sucks as is... No thank you to spindles for me.
Well you cant get a 4" front drop without them unless you use a control arm drop which will give you bumpsteer. I guess both have their downside.

Which is better in the long run?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:26 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Well you cant get a 4" front drop without them unless you use a control arm drop which will give you bumpsteer. I guess both have their downside.

Which is better in the long run?
Bumpsteer is not that bad. If you can live with riding on 40 series tires, I dont think the bump steer will bother you.

DJM also has a tie rod relocator kit that is said to alleviate the bump steer issue.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Alright, cool. I might need to look into that. Would it help any to buy the upper control arms also for the 4" front drop or would that be a waste of money?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
Bumpsteer is not that bad. If you can live with riding on 40 series tires, I dont think the bump steer will bother you.

DJM also has a tie rod relocator kit that is said to alleviate the bump steer issue.
i have also seen the relocator kit, but never heard any feedback about them. i have the 4" lca's and have no unusual or uneven tire wear or noticeable bumpsteer problems.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

lcas have problems being aligned too! bumpsteer is very annoying IMO. if i wanted to feel like i had an old truck, id buy one. get the mcgaughys spindles they are the best and the ride is outstanding.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by laynlow77
lcas have problems being aligned too! bumpsteer is very annoying IMO. if i wanted to feel like i had an old truck, id buy one. get the mcgaughys spindles they are the best and the ride is outstanding.
Did you notcie any turning radius differences with yours?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by laynlow77
My brother has the McGaughy's on his VHO. You are right, they ride great, not sure about being the best for a crew cab coil spring equipped truck. The turning radius sucks horribly, really bad. Makes his truck annoying to drive when parking and making u-turns in tight intersections. Also, you have a reg cab which has a tighter turning radius from the factory which may not be as bad as a CC or EC.

I have had my DJM LCA's for 5 years with no un usual tire wear or alignment problems. Not sure where you get that they cant be aligned. Bumpsteer is there, but I dont think its unbearable. If it is, there is a solution.

I would use McGaughy only on a 4wd/AWD/torsion equipped truck. Other than that, it would be LCA's or even coil springs. Cant stand the turning radius.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, my turning radius sucks like it is stock but, I'd really like to lower the SS two inches or so. I've heard bad about both the BellTech and McGaughys spindle now.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Damn, my turning radius sucks like it is stock but, I'd really like to lower the SS two inches or so. I've heard bad about both the BellTech and McGaughys spindle now.
Might be able to get 1-2" out of a torsion key. I would try that first.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Did you notcie any turning radius differences with yours?
not much at all! mine is a reg cab so im sure it wouldnt make as big of a difference though

Quick Reply: Turning radius Sucks with Mcgaughys spindle.