Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Turning radius Sucks with Mcgaughys spindle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
Might be able to get 1-2" out of a torsion key. I would try that first.
I think 2" maxes out the suspension adjustment. How would the ride change adjusting the torsion bars compared to a spindle?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:00 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
I think 2" maxes out the suspension adjustment. How would the ride change adjusting the torsion bars compared to a spindle?
My friend has a 3.5" drop with a 2" McGaughy's spindle and a Bellteck torsion key on his VHO. Not much different than my bro's VHO, if any different at all. It does not hit the bumpstops. I think the keys got maxed out at less than 2", I think around 1.5-1.75".
Old 08-22-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the DJM kit will be the way to go on the crewcab after reading that info.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would get belltech over mcgaughy any day. McGaughy's customer service is the shittiest I hav EVER had. Couldn't even answer a few questions. Ask Jonmalibuss about them over on Silveradoss.com Mr. McGaughy threatened to sue him cause he was warning us about the spindles...
Old 08-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
Bumpsteer is not that bad. If you can live with riding on 40 series tires, I dont think the bump steer will bother you.

DJM also has a tie rod relocator kit that is said to alleviate the bump steer issue.
bumpsteer is extremely bad with a 35 or 40 series tire and the djm 4" arms...I drove on that drop for over 2 years and it was terrible. The ride quality with spindles is dramatically improved with little to NO bumpsteer. The tie rod end flip doesn't help with the bumpsteer issue...atleast it didn't in my case!

I wore out a set of 255/35/20's because 3 different shops could not get my truck aligned and I was runnning the djm UCA's, as well!!!

Last edited by OKLAGMCRUISER; 08-23-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OUT2WIN
Mr. McGaughy threatened to sue him cause he was warning us about the spindles...
Warning ya'll about what specfically about the spindles?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OKLAGMCRUISER
bumpsteer is extremely bad with a 35 or 40 series tire and the djm 4" arms...I drove on that drop for over 2 years and it was terrible. The ride quality with spindles is dramatically improved with little to NO bumpsteer. The tie rod end flip doesn't help with the bumpsteer issue...atleast it didn't in my case!

I wore out a set of 255/35/20's because 3 different shops could not get my truck aligned and I was runnning the djm UCA's, as well!!!

exactly!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:14 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OKLAGMCRUISER

Wow, that is the first I have heard. But then again I dont have the 4" LCA's. My truck was lowered back in 2001 w/ 6000 miles on the odometer and it now almost 50k and Im only on my second set of tires. Alignements have never been a problem for me.

Anytime a vehicle suspension is altered, there is often some type of drawback. Just look, there are some people that do a 2/4 drop and dont change the shocks and say, "truck rides great!" when most know that driving on 1-2" of shock travel cant be a good ride.

You will never get a great ride out of 35/40 series tires in 5000lb truck. I guess it all comes down to what is acceptable for you personally. Parking and turning without having to constantly back up is more important than bumpsteer. My knowledge is coming from trucks that are equipped with both spindles and control arms.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, their customer service is the shittiest I have ever had.
Originally Posted by OUT2WIN
I would get belltech over mcgaughy any day. McGaughy's customer service is the shittiest I hav EVER had. Couldn't even answer a few questions. Ask Jonmalibuss about them over on Silveradoss.com Mr. McGaughy threatened to sue him cause he was warning us about the spindles...
Old 08-23-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tiburon
I agree, their customer service is the shittiest I have ever had.
Wow guys, i am shocked! I cant believe i heard nothing but good things about mcgaughys and now all i hear is bad things!

I dont really like the fact of the bumpsteer and the chance of alignment problem with the LCA's and the mcgaughys spindles cut your turning radius down so it looks like im going to be using belltech on my truck.

Quick Reply: Turning radius Sucks with Mcgaughys spindle.