Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Under the truck doing a oil change and I see a little drip...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under the truck doing a oil change and I see a little drip...

So yesterday I was under the truck taking care of the oil change and I see a little red drip. This is one drip that I DON'T welcome, as I'm sure no one else does. Matter of fact Eric noticed it on the driveway the other day, and I didn't want to believe him.. and he was right.

So I'm look at the trans pan and I notice one of the bolts has a little "moisture" around it.

There's a similar bolt on the other side, but it didn't have the same moisture marking.

Then I looked a little deeper towards the block and I noticed just one bolt with the same moisture spotting.

Eric mentioned the bolts may be a little loose. I'm like hell I don't have 500rwhp what would cause this. I checked and all three were able to take a little tightening.

Granted most of you know that I'm not weak in the arms (years of playing competitive softball). Is there a limit to how tight these bolts can go by hand tightening? I just used a 3/8th socket wrench, and they tightened right up. I didn't put much force to it at all. Just snugged them up.

And is this something normal? Should I check this as regular as changing the oil? I also have a Qt of trans sealer JIC.

Input appreciated.

Lisa
Old 03-13-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

it doesnt sound like u got them too tight, however cranking them down too much can crush a gasket. when was ur last fluid change? if its been awhile i would just pick up a new gasket and filter and do a change, then look up the torque specs and torque the bolts. is that a wix oil filter?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

your motor is clean compared to mine. my valve cover leak and the oil pan gasket. if you get under mine it looks like a 1980 chevy with some much oil under there. ive figured an easy fix for mine tho, im gonna put a low mileage 6.0 in it one day.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pop that round inspection cover seen in the first pic off and check for fluid inside, If your getting trans fluid on the bolts by the oil filter as shown in the pic it could be the trans front pump seal...See it all the time at work.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

What sucks is that I'm tired of dealing with this crap. I don't have the means here at the house to drop anything from the truck, and I definitely don't like paying anyone $400 for an R&R.

Low.. I checked the fluid on Friday and it's clean, pretty rubyish red. I'm not having any shifting issues... nothing over heating. Just this little spot on the driveway.

06 .. last fluid change was over Thanksgiving. And yes it's a Wix, I think it's the 51522. TooTall told me about it a few years back, and I've been stuck to the brand.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to climb underneath truck with flashlight and check waterpump gaskets.I have changed out 3 sets on different trucks that had that same red wet spots on oil pan.Turns out to be red dexcool antifreeze.Just a suggestion,hope this helps narrow it down.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WorkTruc
You might want to climb underneath truck with flashlight and check waterpump gaskets.I have changed out 3 sets on different trucks that had that same red wet spots on oil pan.Turns out to be red dexcool antifreeze.Just a suggestion,hope this helps narrow it down.
Thanks... but the water pump and stat were changed this summer after 150k mi.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 PM

Also, make sure its was actually red and not a dirty/ light oil. A leaking trans usually doesnt crawl to the front of the motor. The oil pan bolts get TQed to 18lb ft. I had the oil pressure sensor go bad and leaked oil just like your picture.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Country Boy
The oil pan bolts get TQed to 18lb ft.
Engine oil pan I hope is what you are talking about here. Trans pan should be 98-108 inlbs IIRC.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vince B
Engine oil pan I hope is what you are talking about here. Trans pan should be 98-108 inlbs IIRC.
Yes. The OP was asking about the bolts in the pic which are the engine oil pan bolts. Also, the 2 very back smaller ones are only about 118 in lbs (somewhere around there) since they are much smaller.

Quick Reply: Under the truck doing a oil change and I see a little drip...