Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Under the truck doing a oil change and I see a little drip...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lady3bglover

Is there a limit to how tight these bolts can go by hand tightening? I just used a 3/8th socket wrench, and they tightened right up. I didn't put much force to it at all. Just snugged them up. ...
Yes, should be 106 inch pounds on a trans pan.
If ya don't have a tq. wrench that reads in inch. pounds, then 7-10 ft. lbs.

A 1/4" drive setup is sufficient, to prevent overtorquing (if that's a word). I'm sayin snug, as u did. But if a 3/8" is what u have, then little effort is needed to do the same task.

Originally Posted by LowBlack99
Pop that round inspection cover seen in the first pic off and check for fluid inside, If your getting trans fluid on the bolts by the oil filter as shown in the pic it could be the trans front pump seal...See it all the time at work.
Originally Posted by WorkTruc
You might want to climb underneath truck with flashlight and check waterpump gaskets.I have changed out 3 sets on different trucks that had that same red wet spots on oil pan.Turns out to be red dexcool antifreeze.Just a suggestion,hope this helps narrow it down.
Reread in red both quotes. Low is sayin the round inspection cover in 1st pic on upper right where it has a touch of rust, mini screwdriver prys / pops it off. Look inside w/. light. And / or wipe finger inside there for tranny fluid. Watch for potential, sharp casing to prevent cuts to finger if ya do that.

Lisa, while water pump & stat were changed this summer after 150k mi., the gaskets can still leak. They're ~$6 ea. & ya need 2, so it's a $12 fix if that's it. Mine went at ~75k. Yet the water pump can be fine. Can leak, ... not sayin that's your problem. Best way is to look immediately after driving, crawl onto ground. If it's indeed DexCool, it evaporates exceedingly fast.

I went thru this.

Trace the leak best ya can, I know it's difficult as leaks usu. are hard to find & they are a bear if it's leakin all over or on a dirty eng. / trans. Use a paper towel on floor or garage, or some cardboard. Locate as close to leak as possible. Then snoop around w/. a "bright" flashlight. Long as whatever it is isn't dripping all on wire looms & such, hopefully you'll find culprit.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we changed the pump, the seals were changed too.
I have an Aero Force gauge set for engine and trans temp, and trans has been within 20-30 degrees of the engine temp. So I know there's not and over heating issue.

It's trans fluid. I got down on my hands and knees and smelt the spot on the driveway.

It's suppose to rain here today, so I won't be able to look at anything.

Y'all have been great. Thanks for all the advice, I will keep you posted.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:16 AM
The House is Rockin'

i hate leaks, mine was leaking tranny fluid like crazy out of the small breather hole on the slip yoke, alittle jb weld fixed that tho

hope you figure out where it coming from....
Old 03-14-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BLUES MAN
i hate leaks, mine was leaking tranny fluid like crazy out of the small breather hole on the slip yoke, alittle jb weld fixed that tho

hope you figure out where it coming from....
JB Wwld we're not short of. But close up the breather hole? Suffocate?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

i had the same problem within a few months of buying my brand new truck. Just one drop on the driveway every couple of weeks. Crawling under there it was always a little moist near the inspection hole of the trans and if i wiped it it was red. Turned out to be a front seal on the trans... luckily i got it fixed under warranty. But, it sounds like a very similar situation
Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lisa, heck, just upgrade to a FLT L5 or more, that'll fix it. Then go see Trick. You'll be faster than Eric in no time.

I know, I know, it's costs a bit more to go that route tho.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Lisa, heck, just upgrade to a FLT L5 or more, that'll fix it. Then go see Trick. You'll be faster than Eric in no time.

I know, I know, it's costs a bit more to go that route tho.
I called the trans guy I know and he said he can put it on the lift and we can both look. That will be Thursday night after work.

Yeah, easier said than done. If I had $$ I prob would have chosen a higher stage.

Guess you didn't know Eric is +40 Hp over stock right now. He just replace the OEM motor mounts with billet aluminum, and after 36k mi the OEM clutch was replaced with a Spec 3+. Also replace front and rear sways.
The Bread Truck drives beautifully.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lady3bglover
... Yeah, easier said than done. If I had $$ I prob would have chosen a higher stage.

Guess you didn't know Eric is +40 Hp over stock right now. He just replace the OEM motor mounts with billet aluminum, and after 36k mi the OEM clutch was replaced with a Spec 3+. Also replace front and rear sways.
The Bread Truck drives beautifully.
I hear ya. It took me a long time to save up for my stall & tranny. I just meant upgrade now. As a joke.

Altho it wouldn't be a joke if ya got a Trick turbo. No, I wasn't aware or forgot he had +40 more ponies. I knew he'd upgrade some stuff. And +40 HP in a Bread Truck wouldn't cut it.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Altho it wouldn't be a joke if ya got a Trick turbo. No, I wasn't aware or forgot he had +40 more ponies. I knew he'd upgrade some stuff. And +40 HP in a Bread Truck wouldn't cut it.
+40 Hp on an HHR SS? That wouldn't cut it?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you're running a Trick Turbo, it'd make you're truck very fun was my point. IDK what that HHR SS weighs, but it's 300 HP. Ask Eric cause I have no idea what his ride should weigh in at. While IDK what your Chariot weighs, I'll guess ~4700# + / - 300# or so. Figure where u are now, plus a good 100+ HP. Depending on how crazy, that's just a tip of the iceberg. Interested aren't ya?

Sometimes I wish this wasn't a DD, maybe I woulda had a turbo sittin in boxes instead of my Maggie. Next time.

Last edited by fastnblu; 03-14-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Under the truck doing a oil change and I see a little drip...