Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Upgrading Stock trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Stock trans cooler

Found this in another thread. You all think this unit would be a significant upgrade from the stock external trans cooler with the tow package?

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=4
Old 09-10-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

I think someone here has that extact same cooler. I replaced mine with a B&M cooler.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

That will be fine.. Although it may be favorable to get one with a bypass during warmup. Just in case... Granted you live in SoCal, but you never know where you may stay
Old 09-10-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, thats where I got it from. I dont think he had the stock version though.

Did you notice a difference going with the B&M?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

I don't have tran temp gauge in my truck yet, but I am thinking of buying a new gauge cluster.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

The same one with a thermal bypass is 20$ more. Do I need anything special for the thermal bypass, or is it all internal?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

It's all internal, unless it comes with an external bypass (pieces of ), you really don't need it unless you live the North or in any place that gets cold.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

yeah its an external bypass. I guess I will get the one without bypass. I never go anywhere where its below 40* at night and I am ussually not driving my truck, just the ATV!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbrich
It's all internal, unless it comes with an external bypass (pieces of ), you really don't need it unless you live the North or in any place that gets cold.

Says "external" right in the description but I do not see anything different between the cooler with and the cooler without.

I have my grill off the truck as I am installing a cutout stainless billet grill this weekend and figured I would ditch the stock cooler and install one of these coolers (even though I do not tow much and even in the hills, in heat, my trans temps never exceed 190) because I would like a cooler with a larger surface area than the stocker and I am going to be installing a shift kit.

I think I am going to get the one with the bypass. Even with winter temps that rarely drop below 38 deg. where I live I will have the truck up in Tahoe and in the snow on occasion and I dont want the truck trying to push sludge through the cooler while I am on vacation and risking damage from being too cold.

Last edited by Snafudilligad; 09-11-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Snafudilligad

I think I am going to get the one with the bypass. Even though winter temps rarely drop below 38 deg. where I live I will have the truck up in Tahoe and in the snow on occasion and I dont want the truck trying to push sludge through the cooler while I am on vacation and risking damage from being too cold.

I live in beautiful San Diego, and don't have a problem with the cold locally. However, during the snow season, I love to go to Big Bear, Mammoth, Mountain High, and soon; I'll be going to Tahoe and Vegas to try out their snow.

For me it was more of a better safe then sorry.

BTW, I didn't spend more then $60 for my cooler and it's rated for 24,000. It too has an internal bypass. I am pretty sure it was a Tru-cool cooler. I did in my case have to get a longer set of hoses as the included one's were about 10" too short.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Stock trans cooler