Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Valuetrac posi, cheap TrueTrac w/o the name brand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
My Tru-Trac makes my truck understeer (push) worse than it ever did with the G80. Nature of the beast I guess. I wish I would've gone with the Eaton.

Parking lots are more of a PITA than they ever have been. With the SC3000 converter, I must give throttle to turn sharp into a parking space. This makes the rear diff lock, and makes it harder to turn sharp. So I have to give it even more gas.... Then, since the rear is "locked", the rear tires squeal while I'm turning. Plus the exhaust is louder than ever. I'm sure people think I'm an idiot when they watch me park.

Eaton FTW.
Crap, I just picked up a TrueTrac and park in a tight parking garage everyday

Sidenote, picked the TT up for $315 new on ebay, otherwise I was really leaning towards the ValueTrac for $300 since Ron and my local rear-end mechanic speak highly of it and call it identical to the TT.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:59 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Ron said that the Value-Trac is a COPY of the TruTrac...kinda like the Wait4Me tune is a COPY of a real tune huh? I have a set of Harbor Freight grinding bits that are COPIES of SnapOn or DeWalt bits...guess what? First time I went to use the first bit, my daughters training wheel bracket ate if for lunch Not saying that the VT is definitely junk, but when it comes to performance parts, when you save $100 up front, it usually ends up costing almost double in the end when you have to replace the same part twice, just what I've learned through the years

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
My Tru-Trac makes my truck understeer (push) worse than it ever did with the G80. Nature of the beast I guess. I wish I would've gone with the Eaton.

Parking lots are more of a PITA than they ever have been. With the SC3000 converter, I must give throttle to turn sharp into a parking space. This makes the rear diff lock, and makes it harder to turn sharp. So I have to give it even more gas.... Then, since the rear is "locked", the rear tires squeal while I'm turning. Plus the exhaust is louder than ever. I'm sure people think I'm an idiot when they watch me park.

Eaton FTW.
Interesting and good to know Roger...actually, I've heard that when comparing clutch style LSD's, that the Eaton is not as tight a unit as the Auburn, which is not as sloppy and a more consistent unit. Not sure how true this is as it's second hand info, but it was conveyed to me by a trustworthy source
Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 307 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
So Ron said that the Value-Trac is a COPY of the TruTrac...kinda like the Wait4Me tune is a COPY of a real tune huh? I have a set of Harbor Freight grinding bits that are COPIES of SnapOn or DeWalt bits...guess what? First time I went to use the first bit, my daughters training wheel bracket ate if for lunch Not saying that the VT is definitely junk, but when it comes to performance parts, when you save $100 up front, it usually ends up costing almost double in the end when you have to replace the same part twice, just what I've learned through the years

Interesting and good to know Roger...actually, I've heard that when comparing clutch style LSD's, that the Eaton is not as tight a unit as the Auburn, which is not as sloppy and a more consistent unit. Not sure how true this is as it's second hand info, but it was conveyed to me by a trustworthy source
I was gonna get the Auburn but heard through the grapevine they were having issues with it....I went with the Eaton and am satisfied.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, much like Moog = Dana Spicer = Duralast = Raybestos = AC Delco = TRW for many steering and suspension parts (same company makes them then puts them in different boxes, link here), I figured since the Value Trac and TrueTrac are made in the same facility, according to Ron, the same designers, people, equipment, material, etc. are used to make both. I doubt Harbor Freight and Snap On share the same facility.

And don't get me started on wait4me (he cost me a transmission rebuild)
Old 07-05-2011, 03:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Well, much like Moog = Dana Spicer = Duralast = Raybestos = AC Delco = TRW for many steering and suspension parts (same company makes them then puts them in different boxes, link here), I figured since the Value Trac and TrueTrac are made in the same facility, according to Ron, the same designers, people, equipment, material, etc. are used to make both. I doubt Harbor Freight and Snap On share the same facility.

And don't get me started on wait4me (he cost me a transmission rebuild)
LOL, sorry to bring up the W4M and yea, the Harbor Freight stuff is made in China...
Old 07-05-2011, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My auburn pro was like having a spool most of the time.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL, sorry to bring up the W4M and yea, the Harbor Freight stuff is made in China...
HF is good for some unimportant stuff, like magnetic trays, gloves and those foam mats you put on the ground so you don't have to roll on the pavement, but you couldn't pay me to crawl under a truck held up by their $12.99 jackstands
Old 07-05-2011, 03:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

HF is good for some unimportant stuff, like magnetic trays, gloves and those foam mats you put on the ground so you don't have to roll on the pavement, but you couldn't pay me to crawl under a truck held up by their $12.99 jackstands
Not without a suicide note first
Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so the valuetrac is the same thing as a trutrac?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

hey they're like 29.99... i have two sets, and they dont go up highg enough to slide a 60e out from under the truck either

Quick Reply: Valuetrac posi, cheap TrueTrac w/o the name brand?