Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Valuetrac posi, cheap TrueTrac w/o the name brand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom
there shouldn't be any whining if setup correct
+1, bring it back asap...hopefully it's just a bad bearing and not the gears due to being set up incorrectly, or your new gears may be toast
Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 PM
How do I change this text

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I love blowing up rear ends as much as the next guy, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy something called ValueTrac,
I love that post.....

On a side note I loved my eaton LSD, I have no complaints.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Its going back in the morning. I only put a few miles on it so hopefully everything is still good.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Gears are setup wrong not the value track IMO. Whining at all speeds.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Teching In

i joined this forum just to post a reply to this thread.

my dad recently purchased the valuetrac from an online retailer, his worked great, however it whined like crazy at all speeds, but even worse on decelloration. he took it back to the shop that installed it, they inspected it, and realized that the wrong bearings were installed and were not allowing it to seat properly in the housing, that being said, the place that shipped my dad the rear diff had pre-installed the bearings, my dads truck was a 05 silverado with the 8.6" rearend, my understanding is the 8.5" rearend uses different bearings, so im thinking that they used the bearings for the smaller rear diff.

now that it was corrected, it works great, although its really a true locker in our case, we live in very hilly, curvey area, everytime we come up to our home, and make turns, the tires will chirp in the turns, yes the tires, its a great rear diff in my opinion, and when i get the cash, my ECLB 05 silverado will get the same diff, mines an open diff, and i was considering putting a G80 in it because we have one in a 02 parts truck, but after hearing all the horror stories of the G80 i think ill pass.

matthew
Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by macantley
i joined this forum just to post a reply to this thread.

my dad recently purchased the valuetrac from an online retailer, his worked great, however it whined like crazy at all speeds, but even worse on decelloration. he took it back to the shop that installed it, they inspected it, and realized that the wrong bearings were installed and were not allowing it to seat properly in the housing, that being said, the place that shipped my dad the rear diff had pre-installed the bearings, my dads truck was a 05 silverado with the 8.6" rearend, my understanding is the 8.5" rearend uses different bearings, so im thinking that they used the bearings for the smaller rear diff.

now that it was corrected, it works great, although its really a true locker in our case, we live in very hilly, curvey area, everytime we come up to our home, and make turns, the tires will chirp in the turns, yes the tires, its a great rear diff in my opinion, and when i get the cash, my ECLB 05 silverado will get the same diff, mines an open diff, and i was considering putting a G80 in it because we have one in a 02 parts truck, but after hearing all the horror stories of the G80 i think ill pass.

matthew
Cool deal Matthew, thanks for joining to give us some input Feel free to stick around and become an active member if you'd like, and now that you're a member, you can take advantage of the member discount that we get at Ron's Machining Service and maybe get your ValueTrac a little sooner than you expected. In my research, Ron's has the best prices around, even before our modest PT.net discount
Old 11-30-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a Govbomb from a member now knowing it was a 8.5, the bearing size was really freaking obvious...cant believe the shop that installed the Valutrac didnt notice that.

My Detroit TruTrac operates like a locker, soon as you give it gas it locks and puts power to both wheels, soon as you let off the gas then it acts like a open diff. From everything I read online the TT is not supposed to lock until the wheels spin and loose traction? Oh well, just need to remember not to gas it when turning and especially when its raining.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
My Detroit TruTrac operates like a locker, soon as you give it gas it locks and puts power to both wheels, soon as you let off the gas then it acts like a open diff. From everything I read online the TT is not supposed to lock until the wheels spin and loose traction? Oh well, just need to remember not to gas it when turning and especially when its raining.
That's what you think. Your TruTrac operates like a TruTrac, not a Detroit locker.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the great info & Welcome aboard!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dezert1500
That's what you think. Your TruTrac operates like a TruTrac, not a Detroit locker.
Maybe I have not had enough coffee this morning...

Detroit Locker 913A481 - Detroit Truetrac is what I have in my truck

From what I read on the forum and what a vendor told me over the phone the TT acts like a open diff unless you need traction, if I even apply light gas turning a corner the rear wheels chirp like a spool.

Quick Reply: Valuetrac posi, cheap TrueTrac w/o the name brand?