Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Valuetrac posi, cheap TrueTrac w/o the name brand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who is this ron, and how do i contact him about the price for the valuetrac + the discount? ive seen them for $283.xx on ebay, but would prefer buying from a legitimate dealer. im hoping i can get the rear diff+ the bearings that id need to install it.

matthew
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macantley
who is this ron, and how do i contact him about the price for the valuetrac + the discount? ive seen them for $283.xx on ebay, but would prefer buying from a legitimate dealer. im hoping i can get the rear diff+ the bearings that id need to install it.

matthew
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...s-more-464931/
Old 02-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Anymore updates on these? just ordered one
Old 02-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Teching In

good info in this thread im glad i saw this i been contemplating on gettin valu trac or diggin deeper in my pocket for a tru trac..
i guees i'll be ordering a valu trac and some oem 4.10' from ron pretty soon and i'll post again on the out come

on another note what would be the difference between a tru trac and posi?
thanks in advance dont mean to thread jack but its on a similar topic
Old 02-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Where's the Beef?

Positrac is a rearend that allows equal power to each wheel when excessive wheel spin is detected.
A locker is the device that transfers the power.

A truetrac is a locker. Put it in your truck that did not originally have a g80 and it will become a positrac rearend. The truetrac is just a different design of locker than traditional spring/clutch lockers since it uses helical gears instead.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Wow thanks man that helped alot
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Positrac is a rearend that allows equal power to each wheel when excessive wheel spin is detected.
A locker is the device that transfers the power.
Not quite. A posi-trac is basically the 2 axles are locked together with a clutch pack, and they slip in a turn (which is why they wear out). The axles are coupled all the time.

A locker is the opposite. It acts like a standard differential (peg-leg) until it detects slip, then locks up (mechanically locks the 2 axles, no possible slipping unless your lockers is BROKEN).
Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Where's the Beef?

Positrac (PositiveTraction) is only the manner of allowing both axles to spin equal. LSD is another word for positrac. The locker is just the device in which transfers the power. Once an LSD locks and applies power equally then it applies Positive Traction to both wheels.
The level of slip varies based on the design of your locker or lsd. You can have a fixed solid locker that always applies equal power which would make cornering horrible or you can have a little bit of slip and only lock with a certain amount of torque applied likethe truetrac does or you can have quite a bit more slip before locking like most factory lockers do which is more referred to as the LSD.

Positrac is just what GM calls it. Ford and Dana call it Trak-lok, Chrysler: sure grip, Ferrari: EDiff.
Whatever you want to call it, its the procedure of locking both axles together so power is equal to both wheels. The locker or lsd is the physical device that transfers the power and LOCKS the wheels together with varying degrees of slip based on the design.

An open diff does not have a locker or LSD installed. Only spider gears which applies power to 1 wheel.

You can have a positrac rearend using a fixed value locker which doesn't allow hardly any slip, Torque sensitive which locks based on how much power you apply to the rear wheels, Speed sensitive which locks based on the difference in speed between the 2 wheels or you can have Electronic which is controlled by the Computer and ABS system when wheel spin is detected.
They come in Geared (truetrac), Clutch, spool, Hydraulic clutch, and Viscous. Pretty sure there's more designs but don't need to list them all.

Last edited by viciousknid; 02-13-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Positrac (PositiveTraction) is only the manner of allowing both axles to spin equal. LSD is another word for positrac. The locker is just the device in which transfers the power. Once an LSD locks and applies power equally then it applies Positive Traction to both wheels.
The level of slip varies based on the design of your locker or lsd. You can have a fixed solid locker that always applies equal power which would make cornering horrible or you can have a little bit of slip and only lock with a certain amount of torque applied likethe truetrac does or you can have quite a bit more slip before locking like most factory lockers do which is more referred to as the LSD.

Positrac is just what GM calls it. Ford and Dana call it Trak-lok, Chrysler: sure grip, Ferrari: EDiff.
Whatever you want to call it, its the procedure of locking both axles together so power is equal to both wheels. The locker or lsd is the physical device that transfers the power and LOCKS the wheels together with varying degrees of slip based on the design.

An open diff does not have a locker or LSD installed. Only spider gears which applies power to 1 wheel.

You can have a positrac rearend using a fixed value locker which doesn't allow hardly any slip, Torque sensitive which locks based on how much power you apply to the rear wheels, Speed sensitive which locks based on the difference in speed between the 2 wheels or you can have Electronic which is controlled by the Computer and ABS system when wheel spin is detected.
They come in Geared (truetrac), Clutch, spool, Hydraulic clutch, and Viscous. Pretty sure there's more designs but don't need to list them all.
Ford's Trak-lok and GM's Positraction is always clutch type (limited slip), which is always "locked", and slips when you turn (which is why they wear out quickly in a racing environment). The way your describing it makes it sound like it "waits" to lock, which is a locker. If a locker is in the "locked position" and one tire moves faster than the other, its broken.

FYI, my car no longer has a differential (my daily)
Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also consider a locker and limited slip as two different differentials. To me, a locker "locks" both axles together when activated, whereas a limited slip allows axles to "slip" and move at different speeds while still transferring power to both axles, albeit not 50/50.

At this point, I think we are arguing semantics as viciousknid seems to be bucketing every non-open diff as a "locker," with LSD, TT and posi as subsets.

Quick Reply: Valuetrac posi, cheap TrueTrac w/o the name brand?