Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

very interesting vibration problem on my 99

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:06 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James B.
The 99-07 body style trucks had a chassis resonance problem in the front end for the first year, 1999. Some 2000's may have had this issue too, I do not remember extrly when the fix came out. Later years incorporated diagonal braces to stop the resonance. Take a look under a newer one and compare it to yours, you'll see.
I had this vibration in my truck 68-75 mph. After reading this i built some braces and went for a ride Saturday. It cured my problem ,damn truck rides great now and actually feels better just cruising around.
Thanks James B.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

well after the new hubs went in my vibration is greatly improved. I every once in a while for a short period get a light vibration but nothing to really notice it, and goes away really quickly. still feels like a brake is dragging from time to time no where near as bad as before. I figure that the brakes are glazed to the point that its causing them to stick sometimes.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

If you suspect a brake is sticking do a roadside check. It is going to be noticeably "HOT"(ouch) to the touch compared to the other wheels. That's a quick and easy way to rule a sticking piston in or out. I also have a 99, but have never experienced this problem. I'm going to consider some of those cross frame braces if the frame is already drilled and tapped for them or has some captured nuts welded in place.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=Cody Brooks;3764933] As for slowing down on its own as if the brakes are on and downshift to try to maintain speed I pulled over after the vibration started to stop the front drivers side rotor was glowing red. the other brakes where warm as well but not as much as that one. QUOTE]

thats what was like when it did it the worse it ever had however when it does it since the new hubs only once or twice it did it for a very short period of time not enough to build any heat to do a good comparision. I'll probably check the parking brake and the linkage from the booster to the brake pedal and from the booster to the master cylinder for dragging if it ever does it again. like I said before i believe the pads may have glazed from all the dragging with the old hubs causing them to stick and drag on occassion for a little while until the rotor pushes the pads far enough back to regain clearance.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Speaking of E brakes I recently had to repair my 99 E brake. I had decided to replace the rear pads(actually had a few miles left on them) and figured I'd check the E brake while I was at it. The front pads have never been replaced and the truck has 75K on the clock. The drivers side E brake worked fine when I checked it, but the pass side was inop even though I almost never use the E brake. My E brake is truly there as an E brake which I've luckily never needed since I don't use it on a daily basis. I have a 5 spd. manual so when I park I just put it in gear and walk away. I did all the usual checks and adjustments, but nothing helped. I got some good information on this site about an overhaul. When I pulled the pass side slave cy(actuator) apart I found the pushrod(pin) that expands the brake shoe was missing. When you push the pedal down the cable pivots a lever which moves this pin forcing the shoe to expand. These brakes had never been disassembled before so this pin was left out at the factory when the truck was built and I never noticed it in nearly 10 years since I almost never use the E brake as I mentioned. If you have a 99 this is something worth checking.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

yeah there is a recall on e-brakes on 99- unshure years for various problems.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:51 PM

if your brake is still sticking you might want to check your brake caliper just to make sure it isn't sticking in case it got too hot when your rotor was red hot