Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Vette Servo Install Tips For First Timers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Vette Servo Install Tips For First Timers.

I showed up at my Radix installers place and all was complete but for a can of gas and the Vette Servo install.
He had seen it done at the dealership he used to work for but never did one and this was explained to me going in. I agreed.
On the test ride we went slow to let everything work in, and the first to second shift at granny speeds would hunt back and forth a bit. At more moderate speeds it was OK. We decided to go back in.
Sure enough the very back spring (servo return) fell off when the OE servo was pulled out. Easy to happen due the limited space not allowing for a view inside without a mirror. The spring was lucky enough not to suffer damage.

1. If she hunts, go back in.
2. Get the transmission grease used by builders that dissolves as soon as it comes in contact with the fluid. Dip the spring in it and stick it into place. Go in easy so not to dislodge it.
3. If the cover is very difficult to get in far enough for the snap ring, go back in and check the return spring. You can get it on but if it seems to be un-reasonably difficult, go back in. Take note on how far the cover compresses in when you go to remove the cover retaining snap ring. If it will not go in as far on the reassembly, go back in.
4. Because the protrusion the spring mounts around is shorter than the spring and is a loose fit on the inside diameter it falls off easily. Just incase for first timers, before the install get some extra servo cover (blue) o-ring seals and a spare servo return spring ($5.00 each on both items). You have to cut the o-ring to get the cover off making it a one time use unit.
Good luck finding a dealer with one in stock and a counter man willing to dig for the part number. I had to get my GM parts guy to locate me one and, because he did not offer, I had to ask him to do it. The wife drove to the next county to get it. She loved it!
All was well after that.

Part numbers as seen on the GM parts screen.
Item 27 in the list, Seal, O-Ring (2-4 Servo Cover) 8647351.
Item 12, Spring, Servo Return 8642273
If you are desperate the and the following is much closer, the cover comes with the o-ring, Item 28, Cover 2-4 Servo 8642979. Do not know the price.

On my 05 ECSB 4x4 Z71 we had to drop the skid plate and transmission cross member and lower the tranny to rest on the Torsion bar cross member to get at it. My 05 came with cats bigger than previous year models. It's tight in there.

More Tips Pics Here
Old 07-11-2005, 10:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Those part numbers will be helpful for someone I'm sure. Fortunatly I didn't have to go back in to mine, but thats good advice to get extras. i lost one keeper when I did my cam swap, and the $30 for them would have been worth it to have not needed them then having to find a ride to work, then to the parts store, then have to buy aftermarket (read $$$$) ones then finish up after work the following Monday. So spend the $10 its worth it to not need the parts.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it was a simple fix.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice I'm planning on doing a vette servo install later down the road. Great write-up.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

How much do vette servos cost (just parts not labor)? What do they do? Almost everyone on this site has them, they must be a good mod. I want to put them in my truck if thier not to expensive.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nick_4.8sierra
How much do vette servos cost (just parts not labor)? What do they do? Almost everyone on this site has them, they must be a good mod. I want to put them in my truck if thier not to expensive.
Got mine shipped for $15.00 from http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com.

They firm up the 1-2 shift and my 2-3 shift feels tighter also but I don't know if that is supposed to happen.
If you drive like granny, it shifts without notice. 1/3 throttle on mine shifts more aggressively.
It's not a hard shift kit but a nice low cost improvent.

Last edited by Masked; 07-17-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are they easy to put in? How do you install them?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 07-17-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My truck always had a slugsih, weak 1-2 shift. After the servo it shifts FIRM at probably 1/2 throttle. less it is not noticable. But the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are great !!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Default Shifting beast....

If you want a 4L60E shifting beast, go to this site and scroll down to item #32. This kit has a servo that is stronger than the corvette servo. It will yank your head off. Also has an oversize .490 boost valve. A shift kit will add even more punch. It all can be installed without tranny removal.

http://transmissioncenter.net/4L60E.htm
Old 07-19-2005, 07:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Personally i enjoy driving a second barking ext. cab p/up. But i am sort of a redneck Geogia boy.

Quick Reply: Vette Servo Install Tips For First Timers.