Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Vibration with 20s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:09 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Vibration with 20s?

I put 20" Eagle Alloys (with 275/40R20s for now) on my Sierra and when I brake it feels like the rotors are warped. I just had them turned, so I know that's not it. I also pulled the ABS relay, so I don't think it's the abs kicking in. Anybody have a similar situation? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

balance good? Lugs tite? shocks good?
alignment correct?

Bunch of possible things that can cause that particular issue.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were the wheels Road Force balances??
Old 01-14-2007, 10:16 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the wheels aren't sitting flush on the hub, or they were over-torqued upon installing causing the rotors to warp again?

I'm assuming that you're only getting the pulsation while braking? If not, I'd check the above mentioned items (wheel balance, etc.), first.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:24 AM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, it's only when braking. I put the stock wheels back on and it went away. I torqued the wheels to 120 ft/lbs as per the manual and I swear it feeels like the abs is kicking in, so I really don't know what to think. As far as shocks/alignment I hope my 13k highway mile 2006 year model truck doesn't already have those issues, it really wouldn't suprise me though. I guess one more try through the tire balancer.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try taking away the little clip that is around the lug on the front tires only, had you same problem that solved it, the little clip would not let the rims sit flush. You should try it when you put them back on.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chev5.3
Did you try taking away the little clip that is around the lug on the front tires only, had you same problem that solved it, the little clip would not let the rims sit flush. You should try it when you put them back on.
That's what I was thinking.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

I have Eagle Alloy 20's as well. I am just starting to get that same feel (shimmy during Braking). but since I got those wheels I have been chasing a good balance. they say they are "lug Centric" I think Not... I ended up makeing my own centering rings. the hole in the wheel is .600 larger than the hub. now that I know the inner part of the wheel is centered, the tire actually "orbits" along with the rim probably 1/8" thats allot at 70mph. I had to get an OCB "on car balance" to get any kind of quality ride. but haveing $1500+ in my tires and wheels, wifey isn't going to let me just buy others cause these aren't good enough. but shes the one saying" why the hell is the truck shakin like that" then I say I should have bought the $$ better wheels.. I may take the time to offset my rings and center the tire instead of the wheel. Damn, why can't the stock wheels look good, they sure rode good..
Old 01-15-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastCrewCab4x4
I have Eagle Alloy 20's as well. I am just starting to get that same feel (shimmy during Braking). but since I got those wheels I have been chasing a good balance. they say they are "lug Centric" I think Not... I ended up makeing my own centering rings. the hole in the wheel is .600 larger than the hub. now that I know the inner part of the wheel is centered, the tire actually "orbits" along with the rim probably 1/8" thats allot at 70mph. I had to get an OCB "on car balance" to get any kind of quality ride. but haveing $1500+ in my tires and wheels, wifey isn't going to let me just buy others cause these aren't good enough. but shes the one saying" why the hell is the truck shakin like that" then I say I should have bought the $$ better wheels.. I may take the time to offset my rings and center the tire instead of the wheel. Damn, why can't the stock wheels look good, they sure rode good..

ahh concentricity always makes a difference.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Regular

Do your Eagle use the adapter plate? If so my dads Eagles had the same problem. We had the tire shop order 10 of them. Took them home and kept on try different ones till we found the ones that didn't vibrate. The adapter plates are not made with very close tolerances.

Quick Reply: Vibration with 20s?