Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Vibration Problem..can someone help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.

I had the alignment done this weekend and it did not solve the problem. However, I had the mechanic look under the truck to see if he could see anything that would be causing it. We have had transmission work done recently and it looks like the bushing in the carrier bearing is worn. The mechanic was able to move the drive shaft with his hand. Could this be causing the truck to bounce and shake at 45 and 75mph?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KosinTrouble2
Hello.

I had the alignment done this weekend and it did not solve the problem. However, I had the mechanic look under the truck to see if he could see anything that would be causing it. We have had transmission work done recently and it looks like the bushing in the carrier bearing is worn. The mechanic was able to move the drive shaft with his hand. Could this be causing the truck to bounce and shake at 45 and 75mph?
yes
Old 05-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Well, I am stumped. I took the truck down to have it looked at. They said that the pinion angle is fine as well as the carrier bearing. They where concerned however about the leaf springs. The Hotchkis kit I have is under the axel..instead of the reverse. They said that when the truck is down on all fours that the leaf springs are almost flat. The truck rides very rough and really doesn't have a whole lot of give when going over bumps. It skips over them. I have adjusted the shocks many times and it helps a little but the shop said that the truck should not ride as rough as it does.

What should I do now? Is the kit I have a bad one for this truck?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

do you have the drop leafs?? they arent supposed to sit like stock springs obviously, and they wont be as smooth as stockers. Call Hotch and ask them about it...
Old 05-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Yes it does. The shop was pretty adament that the truck should not feel that way.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

was it just a regular maintainance type shop, or was it a custom truck place??? their opinions will differe a great deal on this issue.... I'd still call hotchkis.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Teching In

They do it all there. They say the do performance mods as well as suspension work.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

How about your wheels and tires ? I am having problems just like yours and I KNOW that it is my wheel and tire package. I have a slite vibration at about 45 mph. and a more severe vibration at 65 mph. and at any other speed it is smooth as glass . My truck is bone stock except for the wheels and tires. I am going to see if I can get the set up ballenced again this weekend or first of the week. But this time I am going to have it "road forced ballenced" which is , so I am told around $40. a tire. I will know more on Tues. and if it helps I will let you know. I don't think that the regular tire stores can handle the newer and larger tires and wheels that we have now.(mine ar 285/50/20 s)
ron
Old 05-15-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Did any of you guys remove the brake rotor or drum retainers that are around two of the studs on the rear wheels? That will cause vibrations if they are not removed due to aftermarket wheels not having inset notches for them like O.E. wheels do.
Another thing I've noticed (since I work in a automotive/ tire shop), most techs are not balancing them correctly. They cannot be balanced like most wheels. They have to use a hub essentric type balance. Meaning, they place a spring & the right size cone on the balancer shaft prior to placing the wheels on it. Then they have to use the hub essentric plate that uses finger type studs that act as your trucks wheel studs. They are placed in front of the wheel in each bolt hole. Then they use the wing nut and tighten it down.
Then they can go about balancing them.
Trust me, I know. When I first got my truck, I decided to balance and rotate them after 5,000K. I balanced them the same way I usually balance a wheel & tire. After I did, the truck shook like crazy. I finally rebalanced them the way I stated above, the shaking and vibrations went away.
You guys with 20" + size wheels really need to start paying attention to this.
Small tire shops will not have the special balancing accessories.
If all fails, the dealership has the correct balancing accessories.
By the way, an alignment will not cause shaking or vibrations if it is out. I know this as well, because I do alignments at this shop too.
Hope this helps some of you guys.

Jim
Old 05-15-2006, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

CHEVY6000VHO I hear you. I Positivly know that imbalance is my problem. With Big wheels and tires it's not like it used to be .
Ron

Quick Reply: Vibration Problem..can someone help?