Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Vibration Problem..can someone help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chevy6000vho is correct. i was gonna say the same thing but he beat me to it. I would not be surprised at all if the person who installed your wheels and tires forgot to remove the factory retainer rings. There are 2 per wheel. They are used to hold the rotors on during assembly of the truck. With aftermarket wheels, the wheel won't seat correctly on the hub usually causing vibration. Put your truck on jackstands, dismount your wheels, and look for hte rings. They can be easily ripped off w/ some pliers and a screwdriver.

And for a balance, go to discount tire. If you didnt get what Chevy6000VHO said about hub-centric wheels.... Our trucks have lug-centric wheels. When you get different wheels, they might not have the same size center hole. If You have a large center hole, the shop might cone it facing away from the machine, not allowing it to seat correctly against the balancer's plate. make sure that they "cone it from the outside".
Old 05-15-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blown02Sierra
chevy6000vho is correct. i was gonna say the same thing but he beat me to it. I would not be surprised at all if the person who installed your wheels and tires forgot to remove the factory retainer rings. There are 2 per wheel. They are used to hold the rotors on during assembly of the truck. With aftermarket wheels, the wheel won't seat correctly on the hub usually causing vibration. Put your truck on jackstands, dismount your wheels, and look for hte rings. They can be easily ripped off w/ some pliers and a screwdriver.

And for a balance, go to discount tire. If you didnt get what Chevy6000VHO said about hub-centric wheels.... Our trucks have lug-centric wheels. When you get different wheels, they might not have the same size center hole. If You have a large center hole, the shop might cone it facing away from the machine, not allowing it to seat correctly against the balancer's plate. make sure that they "cone it from the outside".
THE CONE AND SPRING GOES TO THE INSIDE. The lug centric plate and fingers go to the outside.
Even my factory 20's fit the centering hub perfect, but the cone method does not work with my wheels.

Jim
Old 05-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Pulled the wheels off, those little washers are not there but you can see where they used to be. I'm stumped.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KosinTrouble2
Pulled the wheels off, those little washers are not there but you can see where they used to be. I'm stumped.
You need to have your tires balanced like I said in my previous posts! Don't feel stumped unless you try everything that seems like reasonable solutions.

Jim
Old 05-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Hello,

I have had my tires balanced many times. As well as rotated. The vibration does not follow the tire.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 PM
12 Second Truck Club

If it were me I would have the drive shaft checked and balanced if that did not work I would have th rearend looked at. Big Ed just bought a brand new truck that has a shimmy at speed and GM is replacing the entire rearend because of the problem.