Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Vigilante Converter = 40-50 hp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some converters make more power. It depends on the lock up, torque ratio and all that. I think stock converters rob 1-3% off your overall power, something like that. Any how check with Yank performance converters, they know all that good stuff.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not a TC expert but my take on them from what I've read.

Gains to be had.

1> If new converter is smaller diameter.. lesser weight/rotational mass more power sent to the driveline vs getting it spinning. Disadvantage is more heat to fluid and lesser areas for TCC. Hense multiple clutch disks usually and less rated towing capacities.

2> Move lockup/applied torque to drive line further into the RPM range where the engine is making more power. Dependant on how its stalled IE 2800 3600 etc... Wold be like dumping the clutch in an manual at 3000 rpm.

3> A good designed converter will also improve torque multiplication over a stock converter. The STR.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:08 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This all sounds great, but I don't buy it. At least not for all set-ups. N/A HELL ya, Positive displacement FI, Sure. Turbo, Maybe. I've had ALOT better results with a stock converter.......
Old 01-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
This all sounds great, but I don't buy it. At least not for all set-ups. N/A HELL ya, Positive displacement FI, Sure. Turbo, Maybe. I've had ALOT better results with a stock converter.......

you are not included in this you have a freak
Old 01-18-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I can say that I did not loose .5 ET with my TC. Maybe .3
Old 01-18-2007, 09:58 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascrap2003
Some converters make more power. It depends on the lock up, torque ratio and all that. I think stock converters rob 1-3% off your overall power, something like that. Any how check with Yank performance converters, they know all that good stuff.

Im confused how a converter (that bolts to the flex plate) affects how much horsepower an engine produces? I can understand how it may affect your DYNO numbers the same way that gears affect your dyno numbers, but that is power that makes it to the ground, not power being actually made.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:58 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by litreddevil
you are not included in this you have a freak

Go do something prductive. If I have to be at work, you should at least be doing something.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I guess the 40-50 rwhp is false advertising? Do you guys think the converters' worth $800, or put the money into something else? I do tow a 3000 lb trailer, will the converter effect that? Thanks for all your info
Old 01-18-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

vig is definately worth the money. it will effect your towing but ive never driven a vig so im not exactly sure how much. one of the other guys will be able to tell you.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1badsilver
So I guess the 40-50 rwhp is false advertising? Do you guys think the converters' worth $800, or put the money into something else? I do tow a 3000 lb trailer, will the converter effect that? Thanks for all your info

It will free up some horsepower sometimes because of the lower rotational mass, so it could help the RWHP, but will not make the engine make more power.
I dont have a Vig, but have heard only good things about them. I have a Fuddle, and a lot of people are also happy with Yanks. Both of wich are priced a little less.
As far as towing. IMO with a 3000 trailer you shouldnt see too many problems. You will deffinatly need a larger transmission cooler (Im running 3 total) but you will want that even if not towing. Depending on what stall speed you get it shouldnt be a big deal towing though.

Quick Reply: Vigilante Converter = 40-50 hp?