Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

walk me thru a tru trac install

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default walk me thru a tru trac install

what all do i need to install this, as in carrier bearings and such.
ive read where people dont even have to shim the carrier they just check the backlash. how many of you have had to shim the carrier? im not changing gears.
ide like a list of parts you have used and do i need a 30 spline true trac?
regular gear oil
true trac
carrier bearings
lock tight
possibly shims
anything else?

i have a 99 chevy silverado 1500 5.3 3.73s
Old 12-06-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres a sticky somewhere
Old 12-06-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and here u go.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=460061
Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Restricted User

ive done a rear gear install before but i was mostly wanting to know what people have done when they just installed the tru trac by itself. as in not changing gears and keepin the factory gears
Old 12-07-2010, 12:11 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kalebm22
ive done a rear gear install before but i was mostly wanting to know what people have done when they just installed the tru trac by itself. as in not changing gears and keepin the factory gears
I am also very interested in the answer to this. I was actually going to start this exact same thread in a few days.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ
I am also very interested in the answer to this. I was actually going to start this exact same thread in a few days.
im hoping to get a good answer to this, im getting a 3200 rpm stall from circle d so i know i will need posi to get anywhere lol
Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

If it were me, I would change the pinion bearings too while you are in there. You are only talking about $35~40 for bearings, seal and crush sleeve. Then you don't have to worry about it for a long time. But if not, just install new carrier bearings along with races. Set backlash back to where it was with your stock carrier. You might be able to use the exact same shims but there is no guarantee on it. Most say to replace the ring gear bolts too. I've done it both ways with success.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Bigredmariner
If it were me, I would change the pinion bearings too while you are in there. You are only talking about $35~40 for bearings, seal and crush sleeve. Then you don't have to worry about it for a long time. But if not, just install new carrier bearings along with races. Set backlash back to where it was with your stock carrier. You might be able to use the exact same shims but there is no guarantee on it. Most say to replace the ring gear bolts too. I've done it both ways with success.
thanks for the info, how much backlash do you think i should set on the stock gears? i was thinking around .006-.008
Old 12-07-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

I would take a measurement before removing and set them back exactly as they where. That's where they have been running for X number of miles so they need to be back in that position.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Bigredmariner
I would take a measurement before removing and set them back exactly as they where. That's where they have been running for X number of miles so they need to be back in that position.
ok, and refresh my memory on checking backlash. do i need to have the carrier torqued down and the axles in or out? does the driveshaft need to be removed for any reason?

Quick Reply: walk me thru a tru trac install