Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

What to ask and look for in a Trans Shop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to ask and look for in a Trans Shop?

So the debate is on. Do I build up the 4l60 or do the 4l80.
I have heard all the opinions, but what should I ask of the man who owns and operates a tras shop?
What type or mods should they tell me they do to make a 4l60 bulletproof.
I have contacted someone who does the 4l60 and he will stand by and warranty his workmanship.
How do I know he is suggesting the right mods?
The shop is here in wisconsin and I do not want to name names on the board .
He showed me around his place and let me look at anything he had going on. He also showed me some of the mods he's doing to 4l60 out of F-bodies right now.
Really seemed to know his stuff, they produce their own torque converters and do off-road, drag racing, sprint cars, and asphault cars as well as street driven and stock vehicles.
Lets here your advise people!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:39 PM
14 Second Truck Club

65e... imo
Old 02-25-2005, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you have got a feel of the guy so far, you got to tour his shop, learned what he builds. Some of the things that I did when I looked for a shop here in the Indy area, and there are alot of shops here, was to ask for referals. If they are proud of their work, they will be glad to give you some names to call and talk to them about the shop.

The one I chose whas more expensive than the others but they had the best reputation for building performance transmissions, and making performance parts. Can not say enough about looking into their past. Ask the people how many seasons they have on their transmissions, how long the build up lasts is as important as what they put into it. If it is built with quality it is worth it in the long run to pay more for the workmanship. The shop I chose is proud to show others that they build a quality product. Many racers have put up pictures of their racecars with a testimonial letter in the waiting area of the shop.

The thing that I learned most about transmission shops over the years, is to look at what they put into it, are they using new parts or reconditioned parts. The price should reflect what they use in the transmission. My advice would be to use someone that builds performance transmissions on a regular basis, not just when someone needs one modified.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by lotzafun
Sounds like you have got a feel of the guy so far, you got to tour his shop, learned what he builds. Some of the things that I did when I looked for a shop here in the Indy area, and there are alot of shops here, was to ask for referals. If they are proud of their work, they will be glad to give you some names to call and talk to them about the shop.

The one I chose whas more expensive than the others but they had the best reputation for building performance transmissions, and making performance parts. Can not say enough about looking into their past. Ask the people how many seasons they have on their transmissions, how long the build up lasts is as important as what they put into it. If it is built with quality it is worth it in the long run to pay more for the workmanship. The shop I chose is proud to show others that they build a quality product. Many racers have put up pictures of their racecars with a testimonial letter in the waiting area of the shop.

The thing that I learned most about transmission shops over the years, is to look at what they put into it, are they using new parts or reconditioned parts. The price should reflect what they use in the transmission. My advice would be to use someone that builds performance transmissions on a regular basis, not just when someone needs one modified.
All good info! Thanks for some feedback. It just so happens that I know some one who has had many transmissions built by these guys for a multitude of vehicles with various levels of performance. My buddy currently owns an 8 second ford Thunderbird that has one of this trans guys units in it. It has been bulletproof for a couple of seasons now. The shop also has countless pictures on the walls of customer vehicles and photo books with testimonials from racers in the area. I know my bud would not steer me in the wrong direction but the cash amount I need to put out is not small, but after calling around its not all that much more than a guy who is just going to throw some new parts at it and maybe a servo and shift kit. So I guess I just need to suck it up and convince myself to go for it. Here we go I guess.....
Old 02-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

the best of luck. get them to tell you what sunshell they use and what kind of clutches. 5 pinion planets will be needed.

i went to a very reputable person around here for my 60e and he had an article in chevy high performance. he did not do me right. good luck man.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

The local guy I went to for my transgo install was very knowledgable. I dropped the transgo name and he was like "man if I had a dime for every...." he took me out into his 3 bay shop and there were two f150s up on the lifts each one recieving a transgo kit. He asked me what he would be putting it in and I told him and he took me in the back and showed me a stripped out 4L60 shell he was building up for a street rod customer. He also had many testimonials on his walls in the waiting area and even said if I want I should call transgo and see how many times they have used his info to fix certain sticky situations in all kinds of trannies. He said when he calls them with a problem and they know about, he calls back later when hes found a solution and they document it and give him credit for it. I dunno if thats true but all this made me feel good. To have the transgo/all servos/both pistons/and new oil in trans and transfer case it came to 280 bucks.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02denali
the best of luck. get them to tell you what sunshell they use and what kind of clutches. 5 pinion planets will be needed.

i went to a very reputable person around here for my 60e and he had an article in chevy high performance. he did not do me right. good luck man.

When you speak of a "sunshell" your talking about the clutch basket right?
I was shown something that they are currently working on, a band of tougher steel welded aound the clutch basket.
Right now he's looking for some one to perfect the machining process that needs to be done after the band is welded aound it.
He also showed me other areas that are beefed up to prevent distorsion around the female splined holes.
Also I was shown some trans shafts that he's currently looking at being made from an outside source so the'll be stronger than the stocker. I guess some of the holes going through these shafts are the weak points and is where they tend to crack.
All in all the guy was very well versed on the 4l60 and every other trans for that matter.
He was extremely adamant about the strength of the 4l60 after mods are done.
He told me the trans is a great unit, just has some weak links to cheapen the build cost for GM.
I'll be calling him MOnday to get a complete list of mods he would do for the cost I''d be paying if I go with him.
I'll keep you posted on all the mods he does and cost as well.