Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

What is the biggest drop i could use with 265/40/22 tires??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the biggest drop i could use with 265/40/22 tires??

Alright guys, I know i asked if these tires would clear a 4/6 and alot of people were unsure because most people run a 265/35/22 with a 4/6. The guy i bought the rims and tires from had them on his RCSB silvy with a 4/6 but im not sure what he had to do to make them fit. I have heard that a 4/6 on a crewcab is a little too low for a daily driver anyways. My buddy put one on his and says he drags on everything. Im sure the ride isnt the best either. On top of that, the guy at mcgaughys suggested against the 4/6 for a crewcab as he said it would be too low for how long the truck is and that i would high center on alot driveways and stuff. Well, i was thinking i would just do a 3/5 on these tires since it would give me the extra 1" of clearance to hopefully clear the 40 series tires and the extra suspension travel and i could keep the tires i have since they are almost brand new. Do you think the 265/40/22's would fit fine with a mcgaughys 3/5 drop?

The only problem is, if im going to notch the frame anyways, i almost want to talk myself into buying the new tires and just going 4/6. lol. Just cant decide which route would be best in the long run. Of course the 4/6 looks the best and is obviously the look i would love to have but for a daily driver, it would be quite low and running a 35 series sidewall wouldnt be the best protection for my 22's.

I could also just go with a 2/4 and put a little thicker tire on when these wear out. With the 2/4, i wont need to notch my frame and i would have all the clearance i would need for a daily driver.

So... Which do you all think is my best choice??

Option 1: Buy new 265/35/22 tires, notch my frame and go 4/6?

Option 2: Keep my tires and run a 3/5 with a notch?

Option 3: Keep my tires and run a 2/4 without a notch?

I will appreciate yalls help. I just cant make up my mind. Ive decided on one or the other about 5 times already and then my mind changes so i need a tie breaker pretty much. Let me know what yall think. Thanks a bunch!!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would do a 3/4, or maybe 3/5 because of the wheel base of these trucks it makes it hard to do alot of things around town.... I know....

Seth
Old 02-02-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Yea, thats what ive been thinking. On a RC, it would be much easier to get away with a 4/6 since the wheelbase is so much shorter. I thought about a 3/4 but i love the look of a truck when it sits completely level so the 3/5 would be for me. Only question is if my tires will fit fine with the 3/5?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It should fit, but you will probably get a little rub but you can live with it.....

Seth
Old 02-02-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

I have a 3/4 western tech drop kit, CHEAP..... post reply if interested
Old 02-02-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should be ok with a 3" front drop. The back shouldn't really be a problem, might just have to roll the fenders a little. If a 3" works up front, just do a 3/6 so it will be completly level. Check out Chris99GMC's truck. He is running a 3/6 on some Centerline 22s, but again, I think he is running a 265/35/20. Ask him about any clearance issues.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would go with a 3/5 i have some buddies with the 4/6 and 22's they run the 295 35 22 tire but the scrape every where and plus one of them has had problems with the driveshaft he has gone thru 3 of them, maybe cuz of the 4.10's but i would defenitely go with a 3/5 they sit level and you wond have problems with that tire.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Sweet! I was hoping these would clear a 3/5. I figured they would rub with the 4/6 even though the guy i bought them from was running them with a 4/6. Im sure he probably did some cutting and rolling to make them fit.

Ill ask chris99GMC and see what kind of clearance he has. He has 265/35/22 tires so he can fit a 4/6 with no problems. 3/5 would be better for me or even the 3/6. Ill do some more looking around and get all the info i can before i decide.

Thanks for the help so far guys!!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:28 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

A few questions;

How do you plan to get the 5" in the back? - If you have shackles/hangers for lowering, you will have to put your stocks back on to do a flip kit. A lot of work for 1" if you ask me.

What type of kit do you have now? Any pics on how it looks?

I would keep your current combo. A 40's series tire is going to ride soooo much nicer than a 265/35. The front should be really close already. I would buy a belltech shackle if you dont already have one because that will give you about 1/2 to 3/4" more than a DJM shackle.

A 265/35R22 tire is approximately 30.3" Perfect in my opinion for your application. My tires are 30.6" overall, and they rub.

Here are pics I have posted many times. I would try to avoid the 4/6 if you can because you will have to re-install stock parts, cut your frame, and get new tires. I think you can get away with your current combo and have a nice ride to boot.

Name:  truckwith305s1.jpg
Views: 4604
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  truckwith305s3.jpg
Views: 3689
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  truckwith305s4.jpg
Views: 3623
Size:  45.7 KB
Old 02-02-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

A few questions;

How do you plan to get the 5" in the back? - If you have shackles/hangers for lowering, you will have to put your stocks back on to do a flip kit. A lot of work for 1" if you ask me.

What type of kit do you have now? Any pics on how it looks?

I would keep your current combo. A 40's series tire is going to ride soooo much nicer than a 265/35. The front should be really close already. I would buy a belltech shackle if you dont already have one because that will give you about 1/2 to 3/4" more than a DJM shackle.

A 265/35R22 tire is approximately 30.3" Perfect in my opinion for your application. My tires are 30.6" overall, and they rub.

Here are pics I have posted many times. I would try to avoid the 4/6 if you can because you will have to re-install stock parts, cut your frame, and get new tires. I think you can get away with your current combo and have a nice ride to boot.
I havent bought a kit yet. Ive been trying to decide which one to get for the longest time now. I just dont want to get something and regret it because i wish i would have gone lower and what not. I love the way your truck looks but ive seen pics of other trucks with 2/4 drops and they look nowhere near as low! I would be completely happy if i could have my truck sittin like yours cause like you said, i wont have to notch it, i can keep a little thinker tire which will ride better and protect my rims better and still have the clearance i need to not drag on every little bump in the road. I wasnt sure on how to get the 5" in the rear but i figured a flip kit of some sort. Its just stock height right now on the 22's. Thanks again by the way for the help. I know ive talked to you a few times on here about this and i appreciate your input. Of course i would like to avoid having to buy new tires since mine are near new and we all know how expensive 22" tires are. Id also like to avoid cutting my frame because of value and id feel better if i didnt cut it but im not scared to cut it if thats the only way i can get the look i want. Since ive heard some stories of 4/6 on crewcabs being hell, ill probably shy away from that idea and stick with a max of a 3/5 drop so really, i just need to figure out if i should go 2/4 or 3/5....

Quick Reply: What is the biggest drop i could use with 265/40/22 tires??