Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

What converter with maggie?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:35 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just switched to a Yank SC3000, and I'm loving it!
Old 12-13-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 307 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Circle-D
I would recommend one of our 258mm Multi disks. It will be built around your setup, so we take into account the maggie. The multi will allow you to still tow, so you can have your cake and eat it to. Check out our website for some great pics.

Chris

I already have you guys in mind for my next purchase
Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cirlce-D: whats the difference between the 258mm and the 245mm? thanks for the info, i like your new website.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I just switched to a Yank SC3000, and I'm loving it!
Is your truck your DD? im worried about driveability. I drive my truck only around 20 miles a day to and from work, its my toy for the drag strip a few week ends a year, and i tow a light boat and trailer a few times a year. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:54 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SILVERADO11
trever1t with the setup your running can you tow a light trailer a few times a year? thanks for all the info guys keep them coming!
easily, but don't as I peeled the hitch a long time ago. It's a 'tight' converter and drives good. A little more pricey but in line with other billet converters.

With a converter you'll sacrifice some low end usable torque for better shift extension etc. Don't forget a tranny cooler

edit: I drive my truck every day, about 2 hours a day to work, dropping and picking up the wife, grocery shopping you name it.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:13 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cirlce-D: whats the difference between the 258mm and the 245mm? thanks for the info, i like your new website.
about 13mm

I'm sure that Chris will be able to give you a better answer, but from my experience the 258mm converter will be tighter and not generate as much heat.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
about 13mm

I'm sure that Chris will be able to give you a better answer, but from my experience the 258mm converter will be tighter and not generate as much heat.
new i had that coming lol. so the bigger size converter will be tighter and run cooler. is this the actual size of the converter or the parts in it? thanks.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trever1t
easily, but don't as I peeled the hitch a long time ago. It's a 'tight' converter and drives good. A little more pricey but in line with other billet converters.

With a converter you'll sacrifice some low end usable torque for better shift extension etc. Don't forget a tranny cooler

edit: I drive my truck every day, about 2 hours a day to work, dropping and picking up the wife, grocery shopping you name it.
Impressive grocery getter you got there. kinda gives me some hope of someday making some good HP with my 5.3
Old 12-13-2009, 10:49 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is your truck your DD? im worried about driveability. I drive my truck only around 20 miles a day to and from work, its my toy for the drag strip a few week ends a year, and i tow a light boat and trailer a few times a year. Thanks for the info!
I daily drive my truck, and tow frequently. Seems to use a little more fuel around town in stop & go traffic(but also more fun at the same time), and fuel economy on the highway is no change.

Originally Posted by trever1t

Those better shift extensions sure make the gears feel closer together, though. I should take a speedo vid.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
about 13mm
Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 258 and 245 numbers are the diameter of the turbine in the torque converter. The bigger the converter is the lower it will stall, assuming the internal design is similar. The other option to consider is that the more power you put down, the higher the stall will be. So if you put a 245mm in a heavy truck with a big power adder you will have a very loose converter. Now in some cases it might be the be the quickest combination. But because the converter is quite loose, you have heat issues and you need some big coolers, and it is not much of a DD. This is of course a relative term, some guys like a 4000 for a DD and some can not stand a 3000. So it really comes down to what the customer wants. I suggest a 258 for power adders or for a DD where you want it to be very street-able, or the 245 for a guy looking for better performance at the track willing to sacrifice a little on the street.

Chris

Quick Reply: What converter with maggie?