Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

What servos are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What servos are you using?

Just wanted to know what servos people are running with their set ups. Been doing alot of reading and thought i would ask people who are using them on a DD. Any info and part numbers and info would be appreciated. The trans is a 4l60e.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a vette servo and the billet servo that you can get with FLT trannys. I'm not sure what brand they use, but i will never go back to a vette servo again after having the billet one.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

One place swears by the vette and others say the billet.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got my vette servo from Circle-D..
Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both are great it just depends on what you want. the FLT 4 comes with a corvette servo. Shifts great. I had them install a Billet 3-4 servo and it shifts solid into 4th sometimes when the rpm's and tp is just right it'll shift into 4th harder than a stock vehicle shifts into 2nd.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid
both are great it just depends on what you want. the FLT 4 comes with a corvette servo. Shifts great. I had them install a Billet 3-4 servo and it shifts solid into 4th sometimes when the rpm's and tp is just right it'll shift into 4th harder than a stock vehicle shifts into 2nd.
This. Talked to FLT and they said the vette servo is fine for my application, especially since I already have a shift kit which firms the shifts up. And said stock pin is fine, they use it for their builds. I did a good bit of research and went with the Sonnax OD servo and couldn't be happier. Pops into gear in all gears now, no delay or hesitation. Get a big trans cooler too, trucool 40k.

Last edited by TX Tahoe Z71; 01-19-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:48 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Billet servos here. I won't recommend anything else for high hp/tq applications using the 60e.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Staging Lane

vette servo billet servos shift to harsh and are known to break trannys .while the the vette servos give you a nice crisp firmer shift imo
Old 01-19-2011, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

just a little info about my servo and situation in my truck.

The truck had 100k miles when i started modifying it. (about the same time people start having tranny problems)

I did the 224 228 cam, mod air box, ported throttle body, no cats, magnaflow muffs, ls1 e fans, 160 t stat, 4.10 gears and posi, tuned and 100 shot of nitrous. EVERYONE said that i was going to break the tranny if i sprayed thru the shifts. So i did some research on people breaking 4l60e trannys and as i learned more, it seems very few actually break hard parts in the tranny...Most just burn it up.

My theory is that these trannys burn up from not enough positive shift. GM wants it to feel smooth and not noticeable when shifting. So when applying any power or load to the tranny, it will slip into gear and the more slip the more heat and the more heat the more burnt clutches. Once you burn a clutch its is much easier to burn the next time.

So with all of my mods, i just put in the billet servo (stock 4th) with no spring. That was 10,000 miles ago....A stack of timeslips, uncountable street races, 70+ nitrous bottles ago.......My tranny is 100% stock other than the servo. It does shift very hard. And normally barks the tires going into 2nd with any applied throttle. BUT i dont mind the hard shift and i definately like keeping the money for the tranny swap in my pocket for now. Even if it did break tomorrow, it was definately worth the 50 bucks for a servo.

I haul heat and air equipment with this truck, i use it every day, i have taken road trips in it, and no problems so far....(finding something wood to knock on)
Old 01-23-2011, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

I ordered the super servo kits from wit trans parts should be here on mon. 1st kit is the billet 1-2 2-3 and the 2nd is the 4 apply with the billet cover they come with all new seals and springs and instructions lol.

Quick Reply: What servos are you using?