Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

At what temp does the 4L60E fry?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what temp does the 4L60E fry?

My lil ole 60E(stocker ) got up to 205* today with a little help from my foot. I was watching it and it got there in only about 20 miles. It usually sits around 150-170*. Just want some honest opinions. Im prolly gonna need a new tranny soon but what do you think the the temperature is where the bands and clutches start to deteriorate and start to wear more than usual?

Oh yea and taking off today, (not hard at all, just easing it) It got up to 1300rpm and barely went anywhere (rolled ). then i let off of the gas and then tried it again, same thing. Not wanting to drop the tranny right there but needing to go, i tried again and it took off like normal. shifted just fine and everything.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

had my old one up to about 280* good thing i was 1/2 mi from the house. didnt last long after that.

its not good to be doing 75 then trany wants to go into 2 gear
Old 02-22-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Well... according to my vehicles stock tune... The transmission does not reach a "Overtemp" condition until 279.1 degrees F

And my cluster doesnt give a "Trans Hot Idle Engine" message until something around 240-250 degrees F.

As long as you're trans fluid is of good quality i wouldnt worry too much about temps around 220. However, when its that hot ATF fluid does get thin so it would be advisable to baby it until it cools down some.

Oh and 205 degrees isnt all that bad, occationally mine will get to around 220 in stop-go driving on a hot day. (Its time for a big, badass transcooler huh!)
Old 02-22-2006, 04:11 PM
11 Second Truck Club

you should be fine beau. maybe add an aftermarket cooler if you want that extra insurance.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Sexy Party Mod

cool!!
Old 02-22-2006, 06:30 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

i can get mine a good bit over 210 with 3-4 stalls with the stall converter. i normally chill right around 200 though. i will definately need a good tranny cooler by summer though.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Sexy Party Mod

I guess im gonna be installing my stall pretty quick. I need a tranny cooler bad. I think im gonna get this one.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=4

Just a step down from an intercooler....
Old 02-22-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think thats just like the one Cody has.... I have a smaller one, I think it is like a 28k GCW (sp?).... but I have not idea if it works or not, I dont have a tranny temp gauge... I bought a denali cluster and I still havnet recieved it?? I'll have to wait till I recieve it and see if it works or not...
Old 02-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by ap2002
i think thats just like the one Cody has.... I have a smaller one, I think it is like a 28k GCW (sp?).... but I have not idea if it works or not, I dont have a tranny temp gauge... I bought a denali cluster and I still havnet recieved it?? I'll have to wait till I recieve it and see if it works or not...
Haha. Thats the exact cooler that Cody has. Yea, i have an autometer C2 thats on my pillar. Hopefully when i get around to buying my spray, ill get a bottle pressure and a fuel pressure guage. Hopefully my old stocker will blow by then and then ill get FLT to build me one.

Dude you are getting cheeseballed on all of the crap you have been buying lately. How long have you been waiting on everything? Did you get your cam and trutrac or not?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
Haha. Thats the exact cooler that Cody has. Yea, i have an autometer C2 thats on my pillar. Hopefully when i get around to buying my spray, ill get a bottle pressure and a fuel pressure guage. Hopefully my old stocker will blow by then and then ill get FLT to build me one.

Dude you are getting cheeseballed on all of the crap you have been buying lately. How long have you been waiting on everything? Did you get your cam and trutrac or not?
no ****!!! trutrac finally came in after 3 1/2 weeks on the cam I cant get an update on ups.com since the 20th.... and it should be here tomorrow, I called ups today and they said it is probably in a train and will get to houston tonight and they will deliver it tomorrow... I hope so.... and the cluster is just another story but I think it is worked out....

Quick Reply: At what temp does the 4L60E fry?