Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Whats the best? Detroit locker, tru trac or Eaton

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats the best? Detroit locker, tru trac or Eaton

All I have ever run are Eaton units but i see a ton of guys on here are running the true tracs and a few running lockers. Which of the 3 has the best reputation around here?
Old 07-08-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a detroit locker once, couldnt complain, but my next setup after this g80 goes, im going tru-trac
Old 07-08-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im installing the true trac because thats what everyone here recommended...
Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

True trac is very popular here, but Eaton FTW. From the manufacturer's product info that I have read, the Eaton can handle more power, and it is also rebuildable.

Now everybody with a jillion horsepower can chime in and say how the true trac is indestructible........
Old 07-08-2010, 01:55 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Now everybody with a jillion horsepower can chime in and say how the true trac is indestructible........
TRU TRAC FTW These things are one solid chunk of steel.. The eaton posi is good also. Don't think you can go wrong with either.. I run the tru trac, put a teeny enny bit ow powa through it.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like has already been said, the Eaton LSD is a serious piece of equipment and can handle a lot of abuse. Don't like the stock 400# springs? Put in 800#ers.

I like them for the reason that other people say they don't - the clutches. It's like having a stick - with a clutch you can go 1% engaged to 100% engaged, only instead of the clutch foot yer using the loud pedal....
Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
Like has already been said, the Eaton LSD is a serious piece of equipment and can handle a lot of abuse. Don't like the stock 400# springs? Put in 800#ers.

I like them for the reason that other people say they don't - the clutches. It's like having a stick - with a clutch you can go 1% engaged to 100% engaged, only instead of the clutch foot yer using the loud pedal....
I also read that about the springs on the eaton web site. What's the difference in the bigger springs? I would imagine, like one of my drag bikes, more lock up power on the clutches, but wouldnt it take more hp to make the unit lock up.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RST2NV
I also read that about the springs on the eaton web site. What's the difference in the bigger springs? I would imagine, like one of my drag bikes, more lock up power on the clutches, but wouldnt it take more hp to make the unit lock up.
It will actually take more effort to unlock the clutches, not more to lock them. The main downside of the 800# springs, besides costing somewhere around 100 bucks more added to the total of the LSD, is the chances of inner tire wheel spin is greater when going through corners or in loose dirt or gravel. I too like the Eaton LSD, but all of them have their place where they excel with some overlap in capabilities and you just need to decide what you’re really going to be using your vehicle for the most.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eaton LSD
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I too have an eaton LSD. its great except for the LSD additive. I think if I had done it again, I would say tru trac. both are great.

Quick Reply: Whats the best? Detroit locker, tru trac or Eaton