Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

whats missing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats missing?

well i drove my truck after i swapped in the new engine and trans. when i got to the car wash i go to put it in park and it stays in drive... took it home and go to look under to check it out and notice the part that holds the cable in place is gone. is there anyway to fix this without having to replace the whole cable ? i didnt even take it apart when i pulled the trans out so idunno why it would have done that but it did.

any help will be greatly appreciated... i wanna get this thing where i can drive it again
Old 07-11-2010, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

I think the piece that's missing is a squared U shaped clip. Go to the dealership or a junk yard. It can't cost more than $2-$3.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah it's a clip looking thing like brent described, you could probably slide it through and wrap some tie wire around it for a temporary fix. At least you could drive it.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a pic of mine, looks like an over grown staple. It's the rusty piece.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

I found the metal clip but the plastic things the clip goes through is broke.... You can't see it real good in that picture... My bracket seems like its too close because I can't push the part that's suppost to slid in there into the bracket. That could be why it broke. But there's only one spot to mount the bracket so I don't have a clue
Old 07-11-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bumpers
I found the metal clip but the plastic things the clip goes through is broke.... You can't see it real good in that picture... My bracket seems like its too close because I can't push the part that's suppost to slid in there into the bracket. That could be why it broke. But there's only one spot to mount the bracket so I don't have a clue

the metal lever on the transmission (gear selection), did you take it off? if you put it on backwards the cable wont align correctly ( i did this last time not thinking).
Old 07-11-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Pretty sure I put it back on the same as it come off. But I will take a gander at another truck before I put the new cable on to make sure its right but pretty sure it is...

Is it suppost to be pretty hard to get that thing into the bracket? like a good amount of pressure on it?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like it is on backwards if you had to put alot of pressure. it should go in with ease from what I remember.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If one of the clips that is broke, that the metal clip snaps through, you will not be able to make it work( you prob could but worth the 42 buks to get a new cable ).. Both sides of that tab need to be there to lock it in place.. When you take the cable apart under the outer side of the frame rail, be careful cuz the lil clip that has to be pulled out to get the 2 cables apart is rigid as hell and can break.. Good luck, its a easy fix
Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Thanx for the help fellas.. Anyone have the part number for the cable?

Quick Reply: whats missing?